Question How to create post/beam and trellis exteriors

Ok.. I dropped the ball for a while on CA and kept banging away on AC-08, but I now have a client who isn't 2-D visual, and I need to make this front in 3-D. Does anyone know the video number/title/disk where I can get help for this or if no help exists on the videos how do I go about creating a front like this? I need to have this front done by Monday morning when the client flies into town.

The covered porch comes out 8-fet from the house.

Feel free to e-mail me directly, too, if you don't want to post here, or if you have something to attach.
    info at finnamdesign dot com

Thank you!
    AutoCAD 2007
    Chief Architect X1

Several ways but you might try polyline slabs (plan/elev) or solids (elev). Also, go to Dan Baumann's Chief Experts website ... I recall he has one or more good tutorial videos on creating porch columns ... you'll have to sign up for his free membership first. I don't have CA's training vids for X1 so can't help you there.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Here's the Chief Experts link:

http://chiefexperts.com/
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thanks for the link.. but without paying the $594 fee I can't view the content for the post regarding porch columns.
    AutoCAD 2007
    Chief Architect X1

I would use a combination of symbols, slabs, and solids. If you would like some help with that you can send me your AC files and I will transform it into a Chief Model.
    Spencer Design
    Modeling and Rendering
    Click here to send me an email

If you have registered for Chief Experts "free" community membership, log in and on the left side menus in the section titled "Chief Experts Free Community Forum, click on "Chief ArchitectTips" > then click on the title "Creating Custom Square Columns" > then click on "Video Tutorial" .... this video is just under 10 minutes and is very good. Hopefully this works for you. There are others you may also want to watch including a related one on "Creating Tapered Columns".
    Curt Johnson

X5

Alright.. just for kicks and giggles I thought I'd post these pics. The
    elevations came out almost as I had wanted them; not bad for first attempt.
    What isn't showing are the beam ends at the gables,
    taper in the columns,wainescot stone, and the recess of the gable
    truss above the box beams up front and in the rear.

Unfortunately the client doesn't like the trellis/pergola and I'm having
    to go to cantilevered bay windows.. blah..

Speaking of wainescotting exterior walls.. what's the trick? Or stoning
    just one wall on a level - like the end of a garage? Does one have to go
    into the wall type settings and create a new wall type that has stone on
    the outside of it vs. siding or stucco?
    What about the stone wainescot?

AutoCAD 2007
    Chief Architect X1

Looks like you have the procedure down ... nice job.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Nice 3D's, can't do that with ACAD, huh?

For the stone wainscoting, create a "Stone-4" wall type by copying the "Brick-4" and changing the material. Then use the "Ponywall" tool, and use stone-4 for the lower portion, and stucco-4 (or whatever) for the upper.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com