View Poll Results: What topics interest you?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • ALL ABOUT FILE MANAGEMENT

6 27.27%
  • ALL ABOUT DEFAULTS

5 22.73%
  • ALL ABOUT CABINETS

5 22.73%
  • ROOFS (manual and automatic)

8 36.36%
  • ALL ABOUT WALLS

1 4.55%
  • ALL ABOUT WINDOWS AND DOORS

4 18.18%
  • LAYOUTS AND PRINTING

12 54.55%
  • VERSION 9?

1 4.55%
  • VERSION 10?

2 9.09%
  • VERSION 11?

13 59.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Shameless" Training Poll

I have trained on line and in classrooms for years.

Wendy Welton called me and got me thinking about cheap on line training sessions.

So I am interested to know what "you" are interested in knowing that you do not now know:

Use the Poll or just post to this thread what's on your mind and I will based on the responses offer something to help.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 09-11-2008 at 10:31 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

David.

Personally, the best training I have found is either in the manual, or through other users here at ChiefTalk....

My issues are typically in areas that I am proficient in, and then I find something that I get stuck on -

as far as training would go - I would need a 10 minute session from time to time....

I'd have to say layouts and printing.
    Checked cabinets because I don't use them enough,but not in a big hurry for them..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

David:

I wonder how many will see this poll ???

Maybe you should ask CA to move it to the chatroom ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I am a fairly new user of CA (just over 1 year with the software) so I am probably a good target market for this question.

Wendys second session covered some things that are worthy of a full hour session (at least). Dealing with live elevations. She explained a methodology which I had considered but was not sure the best way to implement.

I have been trying to move to live elevations but the last project I sent out my elevations I spent so much time cleaning up the layout elevations that I felt that a cad detail would make more sense. After getting the lowdown on sending elevations with a cad overlay to layout I feel relieved that there is hope for live elevations.

Some other important topics for me would be using soffits for more than soffits.

When to attempt to make it with Chief and when to know that this is job for Sketchup.

The symbol import stretch plane madness.

Hacking a bay window into Chief (I don't need this lesson because I do this a lot. I think someone should put out a short tutorial on this due to the frequency of the question arising on ChiefTalk).

A profile plan strategy from soup to nuts.

Terrain, all of it from elevation lines to retaining walls.

Stepped footings.

Building sections.

Cad detail strategies.

That is all for now. I hope to see you form a similar class to Wendy's. I think it is a great format for all the reasons that she stated. Small class, economical, online, focused yet flexible to the needs of the class.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

I'd vote none of the above - I'm looking for stuff that I can't learn with the manual or training videos. Wendy's list is right on...
    John VanderMyde
    X1 & X2 Vista 64 HP HDX
    www.vandermyde.com
    Building Design on the Outer Banks of N.C.
    N.C.G.C.# 48835 Unlimited

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.” -Abraham Lincoln

Wendy Welton called me and got me thinking about cheap on line training sessions.
    Wow, I did not get called by Wendy.

David and I talked first and he was going to call you. I was going to call Gary. We were just splitting up the phone calling. Or maybe it was Allen that was going to call you.. I can't remember. Anyway, we were doing a phone tree, and your branch fell off!
    Last edited by WendyWelton; 09-12-2008 at 08:41 AM.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Sounds more like a calling twig.

Does anybody remember the Log Lady from Twin Peaks?
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Wendy, I assumed you had already called or planned to call others (I was honored to be acknowledged at all by such a creative and causative person about a worthy cause). In any case there was no intent by anyone to exclude nor to include "anyone" (you know who you are!). Free agents are free to include, exclude or simply overlook without a stain of guile or animus.

I am a believer in surveys and acting on the basis of the results. My "shameless" addition was simply giving credit where it is due in terms of impetus. Being a rather public survey the results are freely shared, though from the results thus far I will be refining my future survey questions and also doing further research before offering anything.

Wendy, I did not watch "Twin Peaks" and so do not know what the significance of the "Log Lady" is/was but if you deem it significant I would like to learn

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 09-13-2008 at 08:26 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

My You Tube Channel

The "Log Lady" was a character in a short lived but very interesting show. She carried a log around and spoke to it as if it were a person, a very treasured one at that.

There was no hidden message in that. Simply my feable attempt to go in the direction of lightness and humor. You are correct that there was no effort to exclude anyone. I've always tried to mention all those I know to provide training. I'm now realizing perhaps that's not wanted, so I'll leave it alone.

I have to go walk my pet rock now and feed my Sawzall. The rock's name is Earnest (because it is) and the Sawzall's name is Freddy, because it's the scariest name I could think of. As you can imagine, I make sure I at least pretend I've fed Freddy, lest some B Movie director decide to take the next logical step. Hmmm, I wonder what Actor's Guild scale is for an underused Sawzall?
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I think the "Log Lady" just moved in next door; I'll keep an eye on her now that I know what to expect. Thanks!

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

My You Tube Channel

I think the "Cheap training" is a great idea.
    The people who need it the most are the ones that just spent a few thousand on the program.I know at the time,I didn't want to spend a lot more on training(did buy the tutorials).
    $10 or $20 at a time is easy to afford and if the trainer has a fairly good size class,good for them.

The "free classes"
    For myself,I would have felt guilty taking advantage from someone on here that does normally charge if I had never taken any and paid.
    These are people we see almost every day on here..

That would be like a neighbor or relative that asks for help on small projects(free) and then hires someone else to build their deck..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

I voted layouts & printing because I could use a bit of tweaking on the setting up for print end. ( I usually do not do teh printing-and usually use the same size and format, so I do not have a lot of experience at changing it up).

But I think Wendy's list covers more of what I would be needing.
    I find the format that she has been doing is great. The class is small enough that questions can be answered effectively. It is almost a one on one style. Plus by having weekly meetings more detailed ground can be covered on each subject. And as a stated earlier-if you have a good handle on the weeks subject matter you then just opt out.

I also agree that there should be a nominal fee for these sessions. For the same reasons as Allen. I love that we can come to this forum for help-or to give help, but sometimes a little more info or training is needed. Or like myself on a few subjects, I have my ways of doing it-but would like to see others. Maybe I will pick up a few tricks or something I did not realize, which can save me time. It is worth a small affordable fee to me!

For myself, I would like to see some one explaining how to import a full set of CAD drawings and then using them to develop a terrain and the actual plan.
    Because from where I stand, I do not know enough about it apparently, and find it MUCH easier to just use the CAD plans as a printed out set that I can use as reference, but just draw it all in a new Chief plan.

I would also like to learn terrains much better! I can do the basics, but would love to learn how to do a complicated terrain! It seems that every time I try, I end up with parts shooting up through the building-or strange occurrences like that.

Just my 2 cents,
    Tam
    Tammy Apostolis
    TJD Designs, Inc.

Chiefer since V6
    X2 & X3
    Windows7 64-bit
    Dual 768MB 8800 GTX video cards (in SLI) with dual monitors