Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray C
    Hi
    And I believe it is these hidden numbers that screw up bringing legacy plans forward.
    I wonder what happens when we copy a layer,,, say I make a copy of “walls, normal” and Chief renames it “walls, normal2”,,, and now down the road, X2 ?,,, I open an X1 plan in X2, will chief be moving the walls on “walls, normal2” to “walls, normal” the default layer?

That seems to be what is happening bringing 9.5 plans up to 10.o.

Ray
    Ray,

No, I don't believe it is. The layer number "under the hood" remains the same, even from one version of Chief to the next.

However, the numbers can become an issue when you copy and paste items from one plan to another. Your layer "Electrical Notes" in one plan might secretly be number 162. In another plan layer number 162 might be "Structural Notes". When you copy that note from the first plan to the second, you suddenly have references to 4" recessed downlights on your framing plan.

If you are having trouble with layer names changing when you simply open legacy plans in X1, you are probably opening the layout first. Don't do that. Open and save the Plan file first. Then open your Layout file and check each page to make sure your layout boxes all look right.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

It was, and still is, the case that if you "hardwire" entities to these attributes, you lose flexibility - you lose the ability to change how things appear and print for different purposes.

exactly, thats why default LW in ACAD is preferable. Flexibility is the key. Layering in general is the key, as long as a drawing is layered correctly, color to LW is not a difficult thing to manage. As you stated Wendy, sorting layers and changing their attributes is not a big deal. The same holds true for color, if a drawing is layered correctly I can turn layers on or off and make a universal change to that layer, I find that color is more flexable (providing I plot from a ctb file) rather than LW. I can still change a lines attributes without changing the entire layers attributes.

Bob

Bob,

Sorry, but I disagree with you wholeheartedly. You're saying "exactly", but what we're both saying is exactly opposite.

The system you are using is not standard and I don't think Chief should spend programming time supporting it. As a matter of fact, your system uses exactly what I banned from more than one office - hardwiring entities to colors.

The color=lineweight system was born of necessity a long time ago - the time of pen plotters and primitive programming.

The system Chief uses is simple and intuitive. Color is color. Lineweight is lineweight.

I'm an old horse who still uses the CTB system in my acad work, and even still don't think Chief should spend programming time supporting translation from that. Between the Filter command in acad and the import tools we already have, I have what I need on the color and lineweight front.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Bob,

Sorry, but I disagree with you wholeheartedly. You're saying "exactly", but what we're both saying is exactly opposite.

The system you are using is not standard and I don't think Chief should spend programming time supporting it. As a matter of fact, your system uses exactly what I banned from more than one office - hardwiring entities to colors.

The color=lineweight system was born of necessity a long time ago - the time of pen plotters and primitive programming.

The system Chief uses is simple and intuitive. Color is color. Lineweight is lineweight.

I'm an old horse who still uses the CTB system in my acad work, and even still don't think Chief should spend programming time supporting translation from that. Between the Filter command in acad and the import tools we already have, I have what I need on the color and lineweight front.

with ctb tables and properties you can change LW with either. Color is not hardwired to a layer, you change attributes in blocks, layers or lines by either color or line or layer. Color is merely the thing that tells me what a line thickness will plot as. What I am saying is having that flexability is important. Whether you change a lines attributes by color or LW is a standard by which you can maintain one way or the other. Having the option to do both can be a huge time saver. I can appreciate having one or the other as standard, but if Chief had a plot table then my question would be moot.

Bob
    Last edited by Madriver; 03-18-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Ray,
    . Your layer "Electrical Notes" in one plan might secretly be number 162. In another plan layer number 162 might be "Structural Notes". .
    Yes, agree,,, that's what I was trying to say.
    As for this color/line wt thingy,,, over the years I somehow ended up with this system,,,,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	color lw.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	22503

To change line wt I just change the current layer. Each line wt has the same color throughout all layer sets. I’m sure this is not uncommon and is a technique developed for speed. If I remember correctly,,, 8.0?,,, we had an up and down arrow to change layers,,,, I used these arrows to change line wt.,,, up arrow changed to smaller line wt (layer) and down arrow changed to higher line wt. (layer).
    Now that I think of it,,,, 8.0 was quicker…. LOL

Enough,,, Ray
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/

Ok, let's assume Chief decides to add Line weights by Color.
    Now, what color is what LW?
    Is Red Thick or should Blue be thick?

The Engineer I mentioned earlier has Eeek! Yellow as his Thick.

So Again, as I already mentioned, if you share files, then ctb complicates results.
    Especially if you start overriding layer names by changing the color in layer color drop down.

That reminds me of a funny experience at an Architectural firm I briefly worked at. Someone had choose blue on the Layer Toolbar and now every line he drew was blue. He shouted; "What's Going On, Every line I draw is Blue!"
    Robert B.

9.0 to 9.5 to 10 to X1

Quote Originally Posted by Berdinkerdickle
    Ok, let's assume Chief decides to add Line weights by Color.
    Now, what color is what LW?
    Is Red Thick or should Blue be thick?

The Engineer I mentioned earlier has Eeek! Yellow as his Thick.

So Again, as I already mentioned, if you share files, then ctb complicates results.
    Especially if you start overriding layer names by changing the color in layer color drop down.

That reminds me of a funny experience at an Architectural firm I briefly worked at. Someone had choose blue on the Layer Toolbar and now every line he drew was blue. He shouted; "What's Going On, Every line I draw is Blue!"
    it' really only a 2D issue. CTB files allow you send files to one another so that color is a non issue. The layers would import correctly and the color would plot according to the ctb table. If a drawing is layered corectly, changing or editing anything is easy. Color is merely another tool with which to edit with if you choose. A powerful layer manager is also key, I use dual screens, one screen acts as a digitizer if you will, all of my commands, layering, and routines are on this screen. I can manipulate any layer (on,off, all on, all off, match properties) with a single on screen click, with this using color to edit drawings is very easy and fast. It allows me to edit attribues without changing layers. Maintaing layering is vital in any drawing, and the more I can edit a line without changing to another layer is a very usefull tool. If some one sends me a drawing without a plot table, if it is layered well I can convert it either to color or to another layer, it's my choice. And as far as yellow goes, on a black backround screen (yellow, blue, and green) bleed heavy, thats why you use yellow as a heavy line. BTW, using color on a white backround will make you blind!! LOL!!

Is this only important if you use Autocad?

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42acj
    Is this only important if you use Autocad?
    The only thing I can tell you (limited Chief use at this point) is that if you have more options (i.e the ability to plot line weight with color) is in 2D drafting you can control output (final plot) without having to change or use additional layers.

Bob

Thanks Bob
    Sounds like I would have to learn some thing new..Right this minuet,that is not an appealing option..
    Maybe after some coffee..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42acj
    Thanks Bob
    Sounds like I would have to learn some thing new..Right this minuet,that is not an appealing option..
    Maybe after some coffee..
    LOL!! That or some beers...I seem to see things slightly different...but it's why it's all good. I'll probably have a totally different outlook once I learn more about Chief. Right now I need to satisfy my clients needs....and final output is something they are concerned with. So my ACAD ways are the only thing I have to go with. Still, the more options and flexability can only be a good thing.

Bob

Allen,

I have my working drawing layers (text, dimensions, CAD) set to a different color. I can see at a glance what layer they are on; it's a quick visual check.

I print preliminary customer plans and plans for my plan book without all the detail; it's easier for people to read without the distraction of the structural information.
    Maureen
    X6.current

Quote Originally Posted by Madriver
    ...clip... And as far as yellow goes, on a black backround screen (yellow, blue, and green) bleed heavy, thats why you use yellow as a heavy line. ...clip...
    Yea, that's what the Engineer I work with said.
    'The Brighter the Color = The heavier the Line Wt.
    Yellow bothers my eyes, I use Red as Thick, and avoid yellow altogether.
    I don't think I have ever used yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Madriver
    ...clip... BTW, using color on a white backround will make you blind!! LOL!!
    Maybe we should start working in Acad's paper space. Or maybe Chief could give us a Black Bkgrnd option.
    Robert B.

9.0 to 9.5 to 10 to X1

Or maybe Chief could give us a Black Bkgrnd option.
    You can do that already in Preferences under Appearance and Colors.
    Chief Architect Premier X5

Yea, that's what the Engineer I work with said.
    'The Brighter the Color = The heavier the Line Wt.
    Yellow bothers my eyes, I use Red as Thick, and avoid yellow altogether.
    I don't think I have ever used yellow.

Maybe we should start working in Acad's paper space. Or maybe Chief could give us a Black Bkgrnd option.
    Chief has a black background option. Yes black lines display as white. Try it - it's been around for many versions.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect