• This bothers me a lot - but I still have hair

7 17.50%
  • This only bothers me a little

12 30.00%
  • Yes please - Angle Snaps should govern absolutely

15 37.50%
  • No - I would not like Angle Snaps to govern absolutely

4 10.00%
  • I have a better solution (please post)

2 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Allen, Bill, Andy, Don, Jim, Jeff, Jason, Perry, Richard, Bryce & Tim,

You guys all checked "This only bothers me a little". How many of you work alone, vs having any staff or others working in your Chief files?

All,

I notice that more people said "Yes please - Angle Snaps should govern absolutely" than said they were bothered a lot, with or without the removal of hair. Hmmm.... Your thoughts?

What are your thoughts on Doug's comments (#13 in this thread). If Angle Snaps governed absolutely, you would likely want to toggle them off when working with Cabinets and things other than walls and dimensions. Your thoughts on this? I find that I'm toggling now and not getting results. Toggling with results would work for me, but that's just me and I'm sometimes the weird one. Your thoughts? Would toggling Angle Snaps on and off drive you nuts?

Would you be more interested in Doug's alternate ways to slay the same dragon? Do you understand what he's saying? What are your thoughts?
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

As previously reported in Post #10, I am a lone wolf, but may want to hire staff at some future point, so am very interested in anything that would facilliate this.

I don't fully understand Doug's comments as far as why Angle Snaps have to govern absolutely and can't be isolated to just walls & dimensions when desired. I assume an option like this is what is meant as a "smart snap"?

I have experienced the snapping to items that are turned off, and that is baffling.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

I am starting to work for other people so it may start to affect me more.
    Some of the plans I have gotten have walls off angle.Thought it was just user error..
    If it is an improvement,I'm all for it..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Originally Posted by Allen42acj

Some of the plans I have gotten have walls off angle.Thought it was just user error..
    If it is an improvement,I'm all for it..
    Allen,
    Technically it is user error. However, the main complaint I have is with the way X1 is designed. It facilitates user errors

Regards,
    Bob Sweet

I have 2 full-time employees. Once in a while (once/day, maybe), we'll get a wall off orthogonal.
    We have virtually no trouble w/ dimensions. We use auto, end2end, & interior dimensions pretty much exclusively. None of us can remember the last time we drew a "crooked" dimension (w/angle snaps "on"). Temp dimensions are "off" 95% of time.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

I'm having fits with dimensions, lines, and walls not staying orthogonal.

Walls first:

When I draw, extend, or edit a wall, I just want it to stay horizontal, vertical, or be governed by allowed angles. Allowed angle snaps should absolutely govern unless over ridden or temporarily turned off by a control key.

When I draw a dimension, I want the dimesnion line stay horizontal, vertical, or follow an allowed angle preference. I also want a set of dimension snaps that I can set instead of the palsied secret handshake that happens now. There are times I want a dimension line at an angle, so there needs to be an over ride, but over ride should "not" be the default.

When I turn off angle snaps, then, and only then do I want a wall or dimension line to be other than at an angle governed by object snaps.

Walls and dimension lines governed by allowed angles should be the default behavior. I don't want to have to push a key to edit walls and have them stay straight.

Lines are trickier, but I'd like them to comply with allowed angles unless there is an object they can snap to in accordance with object snap settings.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

My problem has been finding those walls that are off angle. Unlike Bryce, I don't use a 30" monitor. I mostly use a laptop. A great solution for me to this whole problem would be if the wall changed color when it is drawn (or snaps) to an angle that was not on my predefined angle snaps. Then it would stand out like a sore thumb.
    Len Dalton
    v X4
    CA Certified Professional

I'm training my structural engineer right now and it's amazing how often I have to teach him the "secret handshake" - this setting, that toggle, another change in settings. It's incredible how much it's making getting him up to speed an up hill battle. I have to think the variety of these usability issues need to be collectively addressed for X2. Each is not necessarily a crisis, but together they are a real distraction. It's like being pecked to death by ducks.
    Wendy,

You are right on with this. X-1 has more secret handshakes than any other Chief version to date. It is especially driving the new users crazy.