Wall Framing details?

I am working the framing and I would like to place two 2D sections of Wall Details on the same layer or layout, so I call check framing relationships, like stud alignment. Including, editing framing like adding and moving frame parts. Can this be done, if so how what procedure should I follow?

TIA for you hepl, Bob X1.4.1.7

"The wind came dancing across the meadow and kissed me
    om my sun warmed cheek" Bob Johnson, Spring 2008

Bob,
    Use the framing elevations and send to layout, either to a temporary page if only for editing purposes or to a permanent location. If I understand your query correctly, you can place a ist floor wall section just below a second floor wall section and edit one so that it is correctly configured for the wall above or similar.

You can also open two (or more) framing elevations and tile the windows for direct editing and comparisons.

I use this routine to edit rake walls which are notorious for incorrect framing, to the point of completely re-configuring the entire wall. Especially angled rake walls.
    Last edited by Max; 03-12-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Bob.

First either have your building set with the corner of the building at 0,0 or use a framing reference marker to control how your framing builds in the first place.

Thanks Louis, I will check out how to place the building at 0,0. I did try placing the framing reference marker, but do not quite understand the process.

Thanks Max, it is the raked walls in the attic area that is the problems. The second and trird floor (loft) are both in the attic area. Also the raked wall at the first floor stairs is not framing correctly.

The raked attic walls extend to inside surface of the roof sheathing. I think, that the raked wall should stop at the inside edge of the rafter, with an angled double plate. Am I correct on this; I do not have much expirence with framing of attic raked walls. Also, Chief extends the framing of the attic area floors to the inside surface of the roof sheathing. I do not think this is correct. I also, do not know if the floor jist shoulf entend to the inside surface of the rafters or hoe they should tie into the roof structure in the third floor area. I have books on framing, but there are a lot of gray areas, when it come to the attic area. The dormer to roof connection does not look correct as well. Maybe I should leave it to the framers to sort it all out.

Thanks again, Bob X1.4.1.7

Is there life after birth?

Framing accuracy is very much dependent on wall & room definitions & framing defaults. If you "drag" wall tops & bottoms up/down, your framing will be a mess; guaranteed. Learn to define rooms so that all your walls are default top & bottom.
    You can do clipped full sections & then switch the layer set of the section to the 3D framing layerset to see just the framing, send to layout, etc. No need to try & tile views on the layout page. You can also send each wall framing detail to layout.
    We used to only be able to edit wall framing in the wall framing CAD Detail, but now, if you can see the stud, you can move it, resize it, etc, even in the floor plan. I find myself editing framing in cameras mostly now. I don't know if it matters or not, but I always build wall framing after I have roof, ceiling & floor framing done.
    If you do it right, 95% of the framing comes in correct; including rake walls. I do a lot of trussed roofs, so before I build framing, I select all the attic walls & either make them invisible or make them a wall type w/ no framing layer. (You have to "retain" them). But, even in the "best case scenario", some editing of the framing is needed. How much editing ................. If you're having a problem w/ something, I'll be glad to take a look at it; maybe I can figure it out. Maybe not.............
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

One other method of wall comparison involves copying a wall elevation from one wall detail window to another. Keep in mind the "copied" wall elevation is no longer dynamic so I would suggest copying the reference wall (one that does not need adjusting or is already adjusted) into the wall detail window that might need adjusting. If you are comparing two walls that line up vertically, use paste,hold position and they will be aligned one above the other.
    As far as rake wall framing goes its like everything else, it depends on the part of the country you are in and on the framers preferences. Have a chat with a framer in your area.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Great information everyone, I will try to put it to good use. But, I now have another problem. I deleted all the studs in one wall (in plan view) and aligned the remaining stud in the correct position. I then copied the stud at 16" on center. Now when it try to zoom in on one of the studs, the studs disapear from the screen. I did not have this condition before trying to edit the studs, and I have not seem the before.

again, TIA, Bob X1.4.1.7

Here is one solution I use, save the file, reboot your computer, and while that is happening get a cup of tea. (coffee doesn't always work)
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Great idea, it that does not woek, maybe a shot of wild turkey.

Bob X1.4.1.7