Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chaining walls together

Hello again,

Sorry for all the questions, but I am just trying to find the smartest way for doing basic commands with regards to walls.
    Is there a way to chain walls together as I am drawing them so I don't have to draw each wall individually? To me this seems kind of backwards. I think that I should be able to start my wall at at point #1 and draw it a specific distance in what ever direction I move my cursor to point #2. Then while continuing in same wall command a wall would start automatically from point #2 and I can select my distance and direction for point #3. Then a wall would start automatically from point #3 and I can select my distance and direction for point #4. I hope this explains what I am talking about.

I feel like I am wasting time moving walls around to get them to their exact length and location when I could have drawn them to the exact length and location in the first place.

I just think there can be a smarter way of drawing walls.

Thanks,
    Brian J. Larson, PBD
    Residential Drafting Services
    8901 Nevada Circle North
    Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, 55445
    763-425-8349 (office)
    763-425-8691 (fax)
    r-d-s@comcast.net

Max,

I know how to draw walls by clicking the left mouse button 50 million times. I want to be able to left click once pull my mouse in a specific direction, enter a specific distance hit return and my first wall is placed. Then another wall automatically starts from the endpoint of the first wall and you enter in your specific distance in a specific direction, hit return and you second wall is placed.(and so on , and so on)
    This way you place your wall at the exact length in the direction you specify.
    There should be a smarter way.

Thanks,
    Brian J. Larson, PBD
    8901 Nevada Circle North
    763-425-8349 (office)
    763-425-8691 (fax)
    r-d-s@comcast.net

There is a smarter and much faster way, but you need to stop thinking like AutoCAD. Just quickly draw an *approximate* shape with all the walls, not worrying about dimensions at all. (Well, getting within a few feet helps.) Automatically dimension *everything*, then adjust dimensions. Believe me, this is MUCH faster and more precise than trying to be exact as you're drawing walls.

Richard
    Last edited by RMorrison; 06-21-2002 at 09:14 AM.

Richard,

Please explain to me how drawing your walls to an approximate size and then changing that size to what you want is "much faster and precise" than drawing your walls to the exact length in the first place. So, your saying taking 2 steps to draw a wall is faster than one step. How is that possible?

If you and I were to both draw the exterior walls of a house 40'x20', I can guarantee you that if Chief was able to draw walls in the manner that I have described above, I would have it drawn to the exact size in half the time that you can. Guaranteed!

And, I am not thinking in the Autocad way. I am thinking the most logical, fastest way a wall can be drawn.

Just because Chief draws a wall a certain way doesn't mean they
    can't explore this as an option for making Chief better.

Thanks,
    Brian J. Larson, PBD
    8901 Nevada Circle North
    763-425-8349 (office)
    763-425-8691 (fax)
    r-d-s@comcast.net

Well, Brian, I can tell you this. I used Generic CAD (with an add-on) from 1987 or so until I started with AutoCAD/Softdesk from about 1992, and have been using ArchiCAD as my main CAD program for the past 3 or 4 years. All of these programs use(d) direct coordinate input for locating walls. And they're not even *close* to the speed I can get with locating walls along with doors and windows with Chief. So, yeah, I'll take you on anytime.

If you ever get the chance, watch someone like Dan Baumann whip together a plan. You'll drop your argument pretty quickly.

Richard

Richard,

I know Dan and he can draw at light speed. He can make everyone else look slow as a turtle. But, he has been using Chief since 1627, back when they used dirt and a stick. He could draw fast back then but the plans didn't last very long. (he,he)
    I'll have to review my training videos again (haven't looked at them for a while) to find a better process for drawing walls without having to move so many of them after they are drawn.

Thanks,
    Brian J. Larson, PBD
    8901 Nevada Circle North
    763-425-8349 (office)
    763-425-8691 (fax)
    r-d-s@comcast.net

I used to use key board input to draw walls in Data Cad with polar co-odinates and it is faster if you are coping a plan or doing a polyline ( much faster for polylines) and Chief has this for lines such as plot plans. Data Cad is very slick with the use of the key board but I don't miss it for walls any more as I just use each new wall to dimension a previous one by dragging clicking and typing.
    I move my walls so much during a preliminary design that the initial layout isn't that important to me.
    I don't draw the whole house first and auto dimension, then move everything, I keep it straight as I go, to even measures so each move doesn't affect a whole string.
    I agree with you but I want other things first like barrel ceilings which I am having to fake on a plan now.
    Truthfully I like the way Chief works with walls and wouldn't change it, I would only add more hot keys to do what I am doing with the mouse now.
    I wish we could key our way through all the DB's with out using the mouse as much.
    David Eastman
    Eastman Builders
    10803 Gulfdale
    San Antonio TX 78216
    Ph. 210-842-4037
    Fax 210-485-1364
    David@Eastmanbuilders.com

Direct entry for the length of walls is something that I have been requesting for a while now.
    BUT, it is not the be all and end all for accurately locating walls due to the fact that most walls are mulyilayered and have considerable thickness.
    Where would the keyboard distance entry work from when, say, drawing walls at 90° to each other. Inside of wall, centre of wall, outside of wall? And surely you would get differences if you have an internal or an external corner.
    I still believe that direct entry keyboard distance is the way to go, even if it means a little fine tuning with the dimension tools after.

Direct entry keyboard distance really shines with the cad tools, and should be introduced for cad, if nothing else.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    Glen

Your wish for direct entry for cad was granted some time back - I think it was V7
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Gordon,

I assume you are talking about the New Cad Line dbx that allows you to enter a distance and bearing. This is getting close.

But this is not what I am talking about.

What I mean is this.
    Start the line command, drag in the direction you want, type the distance on the keyboard, hit Enter. Done.
    If you are using a continuous line command (polyline), you just continue in the same manner.

No dbx,s.
    The same concept works for moving, copying, etc.
    Select the object, select the move command, drag in the correct direction, type the distance on the keyboard, hit Enter. Done.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I enjoyed that feature in Generic Cad - its certainly the fastest way to get directions into the computer.

While I can live without that feature the one thing I find REALLY frustrating is having no distance command for Edit Area.

If I need to stretch or move a building a specific distance I have to set up a reference point, move it the specific distance, select edit area, choose pont to point and click on the 2 points

If there is a better way please let me know.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Hello Marty,

Before you do Edit Area; Go Cad Mode> Positioning Unit.

The curser will step with increments that you have set here. In metric the max is 1200mm ( and I do not know what you get with imperial), which means that you might have to do it in two steps.

Hope it helps, Jan
    Jan Bruinsma
    Building Designer Extraordinaire

Thank you Jan

Thats a useful tip which will save a lot of time
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Glenn,

The base line or main layer, which the user designates, is where the keyboard entry would work from. Usually it is the outside of the framing where I live, but you could choose the outside or inside of any of the layers.

Max,

Asking for more in addition to perfecting what is already there is what will make the program better for all. I think we all want more options in the cad area first, but options in the other areas will help greatly too. I am satisfied with the current version, but it could be better. Sorry it's not working for you.
    Brian J. Larson, PBD
    8901 Nevada Circle North
    763-425-8349 (office)
    763-425-8691 (fax)
    r-d-s@comcast.net

Being vocal about changes for the good of the users is better than not saying a word and have nothing happen. As the saying goes "If you don't ask for it, your not going to get it!"
    Brian J. Larson, PBD
    8901 Nevada Circle North
    763-425-8349 (office)
    763-425-8691 (fax)
    r-d-s@comcast.net