Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

weird wild stuff...ok not wild, but weird

Okay, this is a drawing that i drew back in the Fall of 07' the customer's bank account took a dive and the plan was haulted before draft #1 was completed since the customer had no money...anyway...now they have money.

everything was fine with the model back then...but now when i open the house and open my existing elevation camera, i get what looks like the ceiling showing through the roof. I tried deleting the camera and re-creating it, but its more of the same.

BUT, when i zoom in close to the house, the ceiling line dissapears!

Is it my video card? I doubt it, i have the same card now as i did in the fall...all the hardware is the same.

anybody have any ideas? i cant get rid of the ceiling line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	22159  
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Intel i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHZ
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

open my existing elevation camera
    Wasn't there another thread on this?
    Try a new camera view..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Did you actually read this? I said that i tried deleting and re-creating the camera view...

But isnt that technically a work-around? if so, i'm not interested. Why would i bother saving my camera views on any of my plans if that were the case...
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

Guess not close enough.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Quote Originally Posted by 05uurx
    Did you actually read this? I said that i tried deleting and re-creating the camera view...
    Easy killer...

Did you do a glass house view to see if it for sure is the ceiling?

And why don't you just use the "Edit Layout" tool, and just delete the line.
    Jonathan

Well, of course i would delete the line in "edit layout"...but this forum is for Questions and Answers...isnt it? I'd like to know why...not just how to work around it...i apologize in advance for that!

I was merely asking a question, to find out if anybody out there had an answer...I can develop a work-around for just about any problem i've ever had...and i do! I'm not a newbie, i've used CA for 6+ years.

I get frustrated when someone here posts a great question that should be discussed and brought to CA's attention, but then it gets buried under all of our favorite "workarounds" and the actual question is forgotten and the problem never gets solved in the program...If nobody knows why this line is appearing, thats ok...i'm not demanding an answer.

I do appreciate the answers from the users on this forum, but i've had it up to here with workarounds...I dont think being critical toward Cheif Architect is going to hurt thier feelings, it is critisism that makes us want to do better. They have thier priorites and they own the software...so they will fix what needs to be fixed in due time. I'm simply trying to do my part by raising issues in an open forum to be discussed.
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

Did you actually read my post?!

I don't care how long you've been using CA. I was wondering if you did a Glass House view to see if it was actually the ceiling or if maybe it was something else.

Surely by now (with 6+ years of experience) you would know that the glass house works quite well to see what is showing through the roof or walls.

I mean even me with my measley 1 year of experience (although I had some high school training with CA) knew that.

Sounds like you had a bad day with Tech Support and you were just looking to vent.
    Jonathan

Matthew..I think it is your video card..I remeber having this issue before my new computer...if you have everything right in your model, and the ceiling isn't actually sticking through the roof..then it's most likely a video issue. Use the glass house camera to double check that it isn't the ceiling. If I remember, I had to take elevation views from up close to fix the issue with my video card.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Angry

and you two play nice or else.....
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

He started it.

He got all huffy with Allen.
    Jonathan

Would it be too much to ask for you to attach this plan? I'll try to get to the bottom of this.

Jonathan
    Thanks for sticking up for me..
    Some people just have bad days..
    I just let the first few go by..Life is to short and I am in to good a mood..

Did I spell mood right?

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Point taken

Allen,

I apologize if you were offended by my reply earlier...It happens more than i'd like (people that skim a post and miss a key point) and i guess i just got mad...i didnt mean to offend you personally...

You've always given good advice.

I find it so hard to get a straight answer on here sometimes, and its probably my own fault or just the way things are. CA is an "ok" program most of the time, but there are problems that need to addressed and not just avoided...

But...the point has been taken, i apologize to all and i'll shut up.
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

Matthew,

Shutting up not required! Personally, I think a well placed apology is sufficient, which you've done. Yes, it's frustrating sometimes when you get answers that dance the fringes, but I think that's just part of life on a user forum, as opposed to tech support itself. If you want an answer by people who get paid to read the whole question, use the support ticket system - http://support.chiefarchitect.com/

Also - I believe this is a bug, and tech support requests with examples and lots of information will help them help us. Make sure to include both plan and layout, info about when plan was started (which version), what you did just before problem showed up, your graphics card & driver, etc. If you want them to read the whole thing, keep any venting on-topic, non-personal and segregated to it's own little paragraph. I'm pretty sure that even paid staff have feelings.

I'm experiencing wall intrusion on my elevations as well. I'm getting at least one on each project that's severe enough to require regeneration of the elevation. For me, this problem has been new to update 4.

I don't remember whether I saw it in a post by one of the Chief Dudes or got it back in a tech support answer, but I'm 99% sure they've determined it's a problem with the camera, not the model itself. So -
    A) you can stop driving yourself nuts examining the model, and
    B) deleting and recreating the section view is the solution for the moment.

I'm also 99% sure this is a "bug" and that they're seriously working on solving it as a high priority. This last bit I get from a tech support response.

To avoid losing your notes & dimensions: If you turn off all the model layers and leave only your note, added cad and dimension layers showing, you can Copy and Paste/Hold them to a cad detail for safe keeping. When you Copy & Paste/Hold them back, they will drop into correct alignment vertically 100% of the time. With the same view, I generally get correct horizonal alignment most of the time as well. If any horizontal adjustment is needed, the items stay selected when pasted, just grab and slide horizontally with Angle Snaps on.

For some reason I think deleting the busted camera before creating a new one is more effective than having the busted one sitting there. I have absolutely no basis for this last bit of advice, just a gut feel.

btw - this Copy & Paste/Hold technique is also a time saver for similar notes & dimensions on multiple elevations and/or sections.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Hi Matthew
    Don't worry about it,you have a good track record as not being a jerk but more of a nice guy.
    We all have our bad days.

I tried deleting the camera and re-creating it, but its more of the same.
    I just missed this..Old age and bad eye site?
    And now no smiley faces..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4