Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiling Walls??

Question Tiling Walls??

:mad:
    CA X1!
    I am trying to tile bathtub walls but not the full wall on the sides of the tub, only 1/3 the length wise and also I only want to tile about half way up. I tried to select one wall in 3D and I selected wall coverings but it did the whole room except from the ceiling down. NEED HELP! I did go into wall covering section and all I see there to design tile is
    Top to Ceiling, Width, and Floor To bottom. How can all this great looking tile work I seen be done with only these three settings especially If I only want to tile 1/3 the length of 1 wall?

Someone said choose the
    'wall>open dbx>materials tab and add you texture there' what is dbx and where is it located. Sorry to bother you guys with these dumb problems I have!

I only seen where you can tile inches from the ceiling down and from the floor up but how can I tile a wall only SO many inches deep?

Also in 3D I can select the bathtubs back wall and partial right wall but I cannot select the left long wall. It selects the outside wall behind it. PROBLEMS PROBLEMS!LOL
    Last edited by hvac2000; 02-28-2008 at 08:01 PM.

I use polyline solids from an elevation. I don't use the wallpaper tool for this because that tool does the whole wall and is flush with the sheetrock which doesn't look right to me. You can shape it how you want with solids.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I tried to select one wall in 3D and I selected wall coverings but it did the whole room except from the ceiling down.

You should be able to do this with the wall dbx, wall coverings tab settings.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Can you expand further in some detail on the solid polyline. I did select make room polyline but I see know change. I went to 3D render view and there is no change. I looked in the reference manual and I do not see anything related to tiles woth polylines. I never used polylines what is polylines. Thanks for your time.

Try soffits
    Dean Miller
    Freeport Florida
    x1 / X2 Trial.2005 HP Pavilion
    dv 4000 series XP SP2
    1.6 GHv celeron 512 MB
    Intel 950 video(integrated)

2 good threads on tiling with polyline solids.

one.

two.

There are several ways of tiling walls,
    1. Change the type of wall in dbx
    2. Polyline solids over the walls
    3. select wall<wall Covering and then add a wall covering (inside or outside)

This also works for changing the gable end material. However, as you can see in the pic. , the siding patern still shows thru on gable end. It is as if the wall covering is transparent so the siding pattern shows thru.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TILING WALLS.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	22088  
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Oh, and a fourth way

4 molding polyline
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

I must be totally missing this!

I still dont understand. I looked in the 1200 page reference manual for solid polylines but It is not clear on how to use it for tile, I onle see for molding.

What do you mean change the wall to solid polyline. What is dbx?

Is there a step by step on how to tile using poly lines to tile anywhere. I tried making polylines but there invisible and flat and big.

What are the steps. Thanks for the feedback. great program but can be complicated. LOL

Take elevation of a wall, draw a rectangle on the wall, convert to polyline solid, give it a thickness of 1", change material.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Jim-H is offline Registered User Promoted
    The polyline solid is just a 3d shape that you create to place on the wall. Like a piece of paneling that you assign a tile like material to. Create the solid to cover the area you want and make it about 1/4" thick. Will need to create one for each area you want to cover. BTW, dbx is just a shorthand for dialog box.
    Last edited by Jim-H; 02-29-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Yes I understand that. But when I am in 3D rendering picture where do I select this polyline at to put on the wall. I think I tried it but it looks to be invisible when I release the mouse. I must be missing somehing.

I am in 3D render mode. I went to Build<Primitive<Polyline Solid
    when I draw on the wall nothing appears. I kind of see a flat rectangle then I realease the mouse and disappears.
    Just for the **** of it.
    I went to Build<Primitive<3D Box i can build a box on the floor. I tried the Polyline solid and it disapears again.

Am in the right area? You guys seem to be experienced and skip the easy steps. I must not be doing it right.
    There is something I must be doing wrong. Some selection somewhere.

AFTER THE FACT
    I went back to the 3D and now it does show the polyline rectangle kind of invisible it is flat above the floor. For some reason it was not there before. If I right click on it a dbx of Polyline specs pops up. It still is not on the wall. I am getting closer to figuring this out. Thanks
    Last edited by hvac2000; 02-29-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Draw in elevation mode or back clip section mode, not 3D render mode
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Dumb question!
    Where is elevation mode or back clip?'

Jim-H is offline Registered User Promoted
    In the Vector View tools.

It sounds like you need to RTFM and maybe watch some of the videos.