Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Nice job Richard,
    Thanks for that lesson on handrails. Now if you could clue me in on how you managed to stack the curved stairs on top of each other. Is that one continous set of curved stairs or did you put in an intermediate landing?
    -scott
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott
    The width of the handrail is not a problem and you can even add a pattern if required
    and no it is not a stringer

There stair was copied and pasted in place and then joined together to make the full spiral stair
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stair2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	22040  
    Richard
    Designer
    Rutherford Homes
    www.rutherfordhomes.co.nz
    Chief X1 user

Allen Brown and Richard, very cool stuff! I have seen those settings in the stair dbx but never bothered to play with them. Thanks for pointing this out.
    Allen, I think you should make up a post called "creative stairs" (when you get time.) and include various scenarios.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

Quote Originally Posted by dshall
    Allen,
    Just verifying but I am assuming we cannot change the width of your stone wall (which is the strinter) on the side of the stairs. Is it preset to about 2"?
    -scott
    Scott,

If you look closely at the picture in post #56, the closest portion is very thick, and the farthest portion is only 2" thick? You are correct, as far as I can tell, you cannot make the skirt board any thicker. What I did to make the closer part thicker on post #56 is place a solid stone wall right up against the stairs section, and pull down one side in cross section view.

It would take a little bit of work to get the same effect on a curved stair, but I'm confident it could be done.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Allen,

Did you take note of Richard's concrete stairs 3 posts up. Another very clever way to get the stone/concrete thick wall.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

How about this
    Using the same method I can turn the same stair into a ramp
    Again the whole thing is done with a stair, No walls or symbols
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stair3.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	22047  
    Richard
    Designer
    Rutherford Homes
    Chief X1 user

Quote Originally Posted by dshall
    Allen,

Did you take note of Richard's concrete stairs 3 posts up. Another very clever way to get the stone/concrete thick wall.
    I did, a handrail 8" thick, and 36" tall.

Richard, in that last picture, is it actually a smooth ramp, or is it just a low quality picture that we can't see the risers?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

it actually a smooth ramp, or is it just a low quality picture that we can't see the risers?
    I wonder if it can be done with a 36" wide set of stairs with the handrail width set at 19" wide x 6" hi (this is the ramp) handrail set at 1" high. Treads set at 1" risers set at 1" (they disappear).

I am on a mac at home so I cannot try it now.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The last picture is the handrail set at 100mm (4in) high and half the width of the stair to make the ramp, the treads are still there just under the handrail
    Richard
    Designer
    Rutherford Homes
    Chief X1 user

Once in awhile there comes a thread that you can't seem to leave alone. I guess this is one of them. With the tips from Allen and Richard I can now build a smooth curved ramp with a railing or 2. (no symbols)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curved ramp.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	22080
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick

I suppose if you make a set of stairs...
    the handrail set at 100mm (4in) high and half the width of the stair to make the ramp, the treads are still there just under the handrail
    ... set the steps at a 1" riser and a 12" tread (ADA Req for slope)...
    With the tips from Allen and Richard I can now build a smooth curved ramp with a railing or 2. (no symbols)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

OK Rob,

How'd you accomplish this one? Richard's ramp was made with a short wide handrail, but yours has a regular handrail and balusters? Did you do as Scott suggests above?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Yea Rob,
    How did you do that?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Nope, just tried it. 1" rise and 12" tread gives you just that.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints

www.IndyBlueprints.com

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I made the ramp per Richards idea. (expanded handrail). Then made a copy,changed back to regular railings, made it 2" wide, and expanded (it stays concentric) to the edge of the slab. Here is a variation using 2 copies. (baluster width = 0) Just added posts (cylinders) from library. Now what else can we do?? How about a stream running down the middle? Thanks again to Richard and Allen for their inspiring ideas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curved ramp2.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	22104
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick