Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AMT is offline Registered User Promoted

CAD box dimensioning problems X 1

I am a long time user of Chief and cannot figure out why I cannot dimension manually to a number of CAD boxes on my plan. I know all about the locate objects ' lines/sides , ends/corners etc. I picked up on that 5 versions ago,but this has me stumped. If I string a manual dimension line it picks up these cad boxes,but if I manually edit them,its as if they aren't even there.Its been two days and I cannot figure this out. Please help before I give up on this release. It is not a legacy plan,I learned that lesson already. Tony T

Tony, can you post a plan with these cad boxes in them, so we can take a look?
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Hi Tony
    Can you post a plan of what you are having troubles with..
    You could try clicking on the cad box tool before the dimension tool..
    That is just a maybe...

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Cad Box Dimensioning Troubles

Thanks all who are helping. I have attached the file.Try dimesioning from the existing dimensions to the big black boxes (they started out as slabs/columns) on the first floor in the entryway. Thanks again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tony,
    I know what you mean. I've been having a problem trying to dimension to various items including some slabs. Yesterday I had a polyline at the outside surface of a wall and couldn't get an end to end dimension to move to that location for anything. Thought it must be me because I couldn't find any threads that sounded like the squirrely dimensioning problems I've been having. If I use the manual dimension tool that picks up everything in sight, it does get it and I have to remove all the points I don't want. Maybe it's the end to end tool that is the problem and that's what I usually use.

I've only be using X1 for a couple of months but have used CA a lot for years. And yes, the right boxes were checked. This has been very annoying.
    Liz

Its not just the end to end tool. I have tried everything I know of and I have been using Chief since the mid '90's. I too could not find a thread on it and I thought it was me,so I reloaded,rebooted,reread,watched the videos;there is no special request here,all I am asking to do is to dimension to a flippin CAD box. Its like you stated,when I string a dimension line it picks up eveything,including both sides of the CAD boxes,but if I pull on of the nodes away and try to put it back,IMPOSSIBLE. Basically the program is useless to me at this point,with the trouble with legacy plans and all. I have a 24 building, three story 18 unit active retirement project in the works and boy did that plan get beaten up when I tried to work in X 1. So I am forced back to V 10,although I gave this Graver residence a shot in X1 and redrew the entire plan in X 1 and then this crap happens. I am extremely frustrated and have stuck by chief for a long time,but this release has many issues and thats why I am so aggravated.Again thanlks everyone helping out !!! Tony T

I know this is stupid but turn off the invisible wall.

Well you convinced me. I have a small addition of a church that I started in 10 then worke on in X1 to so the rendering. I was starting to do the working drawings in X1 but now I'm going back to 10. Thanks.
    Liz

Hi ,I just tried turning off the invisible wall and it did not work here. Did it work for you?

Yes it did.

Try this, slide the box into the room a bit (out of the doorway) and then see if you can pick up a dimension.
    Last edited by louis; 02-26-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Stay in 10 if you need to get the drawings out. I am not saying there are not improvements in X 1,there are,and I was excited about them. But I need to get drawings done and not fiddle for two days with a simple dimensioning problem. All I want to do is dimension to a CAD box. What about when I do my footing plan,where I use a multitude of CAD boxes? Won't happen in X 1. V - 10 = Production ! X -1

I have tried to slide the boxes all over the place,away from the wall,for an hour straight to try and figure this out,all of them to no avail. I mean I can't be moving items I placed just to get a dimension to them,and that hasn't worked anyway. I do appreciate the suggestions,have you had any success with my plan? Tony T

So without moving the black Cad boxes,have you been able to re-dimension manually to them? What am I missing? TIA. Tony T

Try locking the cabinets.

Closed and reopened without saving and I can dimension to them..
    Are you in default edit behavior?
    Last edited by Allen42acj; 02-26-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4