New User Needs Help with Roof

Hello Everyone,

Just let me say thank you to those of you who post responses on this site. As a new user, I have learned a great deal from you, but I still have much to learn. I am trying to draw my first two story house and cannot understand how to do the roofs. I am attaching a 3D rendering of the house hoping one of you can explain to me how to go about building this roof. (This is my first post so I hope that the post and attachments will work correctly.) Also, I have to make some changes with the "half story" over the garage. The garage is on the left. In the rendering it looks like a full two story over the garage but is not suppose to be. I want two gables upstairs on the front, a wrap around porch on the first floor. I want the gables on the sides of both floors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First House Plan.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	21956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First House Plan Back.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	21957  

Off the build menu click on Roof then Build roof. Put a check mark in build roof planes and set your pitch. Hit OK.

You might want to review the roof chapter in the User's Guide and then watch some of the training videos.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

New User Needs Help with Roof

I have the tutorial video's and have watched them a several times. My problem seems to be the porch pitch I guess and the little section on the second story up front that is set back from the two gabled walls. Should I be able to use the automatic roof function to built the entire roof? I can build the roof without the porch, but when I add the porch, it goes haywire.
    Last edited by Tammie Williams; 02-25-2008 at 07:24 PM.

You can adjust the roof the way you want it, if you build it manually...Or just use the roof auto tool.
    Dragon

Jim

jhatton64@gmail.com

Chief Architect X2

I usually do the porches manually..
    Nothing wrong with mixing auto and manual roofs..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Tammy, I have time to help you just email me your plan and I will help you get that roof on, it seems like a daunting task at first but it is really not so bad.
    Chris Brown
    CA vs. X1, X2, X3
    Stone Castle Homes, LLC.
    Design/Build General Contractor
    Republic, Missouri
    Ph. # 417-732-1027
    Email chrisdbrown@att.net

You may find it helpful to put your fancy house aside and to just open up a new plan for experimentation. Start simple and work up. First just draw 4 walls and build a roof. Play with the roof tools while looking at a cross section in split screen. Then simply delete without saving and go on to something a little more complicated. If you can master doing manual roofs, most of the mystery will disappear.
    Jeff Murray
    X5, X6
    SU2013 Pro
    Windows 7 64 home