Hybrid View

I use a method like Rob suggested. I have a whole load of materials set up with names like "aExterior Siding," "aExterior Trim," "aInterior Walls," "aFascia," "aRoofing"... I use the "a" in front to pop it to the top of the materials list. So my model is set up with those materials. Then when I want to change them, I click on the material in a 3d view with the rainbow tool, go to the Texture tab, and browse to a new material in the Texture file. And that's it. Then you don't have to mess with the spraypaint tool and worry about the wrong things changing by accident.

I just had a "live" 2 1/2 hour session with a client this morning. I don't do them that often, but when it's something where a client needs to see lots of options, I find they really appreciate the opportunity and can make decisions more quickly. Of course, I wouldn't do it for roof changes, or something complex that would have a strong chance of things getting messed up. If you're mostly showing cosmetic changes for exteriors, I think that's a fine thing to show the client a lot of options quickly. You can always do a screen shot of various material combinations and email them to the client to review later at home. Saves a bunch of color printing, too!

Christina
    Christina Girerd Loud, Architect
    Girerd Designs
    Mountain View, CA
    www.GirerdDesigns.com

X5

Thanks everyone for the info. I will create new "a" material names to use quickly. This should be easy enough. I didnt think about creating materials, I guess I could not get my mind off of the new wall def possiblity.

Thanks again
    Sherman Smith

Ver X1 (Serial Number in Profile)

Rob & Christina, - Thanks. Very helpful.
    ggodwin

You're welcome. I just counted my "a-" materials folder in the library browser since I was curious after writing this... I have 48! I use these materials in my template plans, as well as in my symbols, so it makes it easy to make things "match" in a project. Plus, if I get a new symbol or add something that has another material, I don't have to remember the current name of my siding or roofing material (I hate having to find materials with names like "847482") in the plan materials list to find it, I just have to spraypaint (I do use it in this situation) with the appropriate "a- " whatever from my library materials folder, and it matches whatever is current in the project.

Christina
    Christina Girerd Loud, Architect
    Girerd Designs
    Mountain View, CA
    www.GirerdDesigns.com

X5