Thread: Double Trouble

Double Trouble

Hi all,

I'm doing my first plan with X1. I'm using a furred wall that is 3/4" furring strips with drywall. X1 apparently doesn't like the thinness of it. Every time I moved or connected another wall to it a dialog box popped up telling me so, until I checked "Don't show me again". When I tried to place a window in it another db appeared asking if I wanted it to go through (I think... I read it in haste). I checked remember my choice then made the wrong choice. Windows & doors don't go through now.

I opened up a new plan & same result. "Through" is checked in window db. I tried every combination of double wall types. No luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Glenn Zankey
    Ver.9.5 thru X5

What is your wall thickness?
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Zankey
    Hi all,

I'm doing my first plan with X1. I'm using a furred wall that is 3/4" furring strips with drywall. X1 apparently doesn't like the thinness of it. Every time I moved or connected another wall to it a dialog box popped up telling me so, until I checked "Don't show me again". When I tried to place a window in it another db appeared asking if I wanted it to go through (I think... I read it in haste). I checked remember my choice then made the wrong choice. Windows & doors don't go through now.

I opened up a new plan & same result. "Through" is checked in window db. I tried every combination of double wall types. No luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You can get that dialog back by resetting message boxes under Reset Options in preferences if you need it back. The reset will reset all message boxes, so you'll have to go through the process of checking "Don't show me again" for ones you don't want to see.

If you haven't tried it, you could also group select the walls you want the opening to go through and make them Double Walls in the wall specification dialog.
    Sarah Mitchell

Tommy,

The main layer is 3/4" & the db says it's unusual for it to be so thin.

Sarah,

I reset the message boxes & can't get the message back. It popped up when I first tried to place a window & I haven't been able to re-create it. But I am now getting a dbx that says that the adjacent wall is furred, but it is not. It is "Frame Through". I don't think the main layer thickness has anything to do with it since I made it 3-1/2". Still can't get a window to go through both walls.
    Glenn Zankey
    Ver.9.5 thru X5

It sounds like you're using too thin of a wall that works well with Chief.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I'm still not understanding - you make it sound like your wall is only 3/4" furring strips with drywall. I would think you have a wall assembly with a primary structural layer, then furring etc.

The way your first post reads, it sounds like a wall comprised of a sandwich of drywall-furring-drywall (or just furring-drywall) with nothing else. Could you post a screen capture?

I think you're using the new double wall feature in a way that isn't too happy for the software. Why not just build another wall type that includes the furring etc. as an additional layer? That's what would normally happen in the real world, if I understand your situation. It's also the only option for those of us still using earlier versions.

Not really getting it,

John S.

Post a sample plan with that set up.
    Just a square box house..
    Or post that plan if you want..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The main problem is that I can't undo a decision I made in a temporary message box about placing windows in the double wall. After resetting message boxes in preferences, I haven't been able to recreate it so that I could change it back.

It looks as though it only pertains to this plan.

John,
    I added layers to the CMU wall which is the way we did it in earlier versions. I think double walls will be a much better way to do it in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Double Wall.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	21912  
    Glenn Zankey
    Ver.9.5 thru X5

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Zankey
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The main problem is that I can't undo a decision I made in a temporary message box about placing windows in the double wall. After resetting message boxes in preferences, I haven't been able to recreate it so that I could change it back.

It looks as though it only pertains to this plan.

John,
    I added layers to the CMU wall which is the way we did it in earlier versions. I think double walls will be a much better way to do it in the future.
    I've noted your problem with the double wall and have passed it on to the development team.

Thanks,
    Sarah Mitchell

Thanks Sarah
    Glenn Zankey
    Ver.9.5 thru X5