Round roof for turret

I'm drawing a tower on one of my plans with a round roof that's 13' diameter and 18' tall to the point. I first showed this using a cone from the library and changing materials. Now i need to tie in several other parts of the roof and my client would also like to see it with no ceiling. Does anybody know the best way of drawing this with regular roof planes? THANKS for any help.

What version?

What's your name?

- Do a Saveas on your plan.

- Delete everything except the round walls that will make the tower.

- Automatically generate a roof and it will put a lovely cone on your round tower. It looks like about a 33:12 pitch should do it. You may want to experiment a bit with the pitch.

- Now copy and paste just the roof back to the original plan. In Chief 10 you will need to use Edit Area (I think, can't totally remember). In Chief X1, Ctrl-C for Copy, then Ctrl-Alt-V to Paste/Hold Position (or any other method of Copy and Paste/Hold)
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

maybe got it figured out? Any better ideas than drawing multiple.... looks like it's gonna be 48 total roof planes?

My name is Ben and i'm from Corsicana, TX. It's been a while since i've been on here. That's a much better idea. I'm gonna give it a shot

Welcome (back) Ben,

What version?

The 2nd file trick is actually very fast, and it doesn't blow away your other roofs. Without seeing your plan, I can't tell - but you might even be able to get the whole thing to auto-generate. If not, you might be able to get the cone and the roofs immediately adjacent to auto-generate together, which eliminates the need to manually join them.

It's been my experience that it's faster to do a 2nd file and copy back, or do whatever you need to do to auto-generate for cones and such.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Versoin X1. Thanks for the help. I did that making the circle using 2 round walls . Looks like i'll be able to make it work after some playing around with it. Where the walls connect it uses a larger roof plane so it doesn't give it a REALLY smooth effect in 3D. Much easier than manually drawing all those planes tho.

never could get the auto roof thing to work very good. I manually built 12 roof plans then copied about center 3 times. Then connected the 2 roof planes joining the round roof. If i knew how i would post it. I'm kinda proud i'll have to say. haha. thanks for the help.

Ben,

You'll have to post a picture so we can all congratulate you!

On your keyboard - hold the Windows key down and press the "Print Screen" button.

In any photo editing program, start a new, blank file, then press Ctrl-V for paste. Resize to less than 100 mb and use "Go Advanced" here to post it.

I'm sure there are ways that don't use photo editing software, but this is how I do it.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Here is the floor plan view
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TURRET ROOF.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	21967  

and the exterior 3D view
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TURRET ROOF 3D.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	21968  

You could draw one roof plane. Drop a point marker at the peak. Choose rotate about current point. Select the roof plane. Hit multiple copy. Hit the setup button and type in the appropriate number of degrees for rotation. Then grab the rotation handle and copy them around.

Or you can use transform replicate in a similar manner.

This is handy when trying to create a more complicated domed roof as well. Setup the first plane then duplicate it around the center point.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Doug,
    That is the process (transform/replicate) I did for a round, concave, convex roof.
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=34572
    Don

CA Premium X6 (16.1.1.9x64) SSA
    Intel i7-4770 (8M Cache) @ 3.4GHz; Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit; 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670;
    Dual HD Monitors (24" and 22");
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD.