panning and zooming when using mouse

I never noticed this happening before but if I use my mouse to zoom or pan, the view jumps to a farther distance.

Anyone else have this happening?

Thanks
    Pat
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

Pat,
    Seems to work okay for me when I use the center mouse button in plan view.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Bob Sweet; 02-03-2008 at 06:06 AM.
    Bob Sweet

Pat,

I have never had this problem. You aren't doing it with the dolly camera selected are you? That camera gives me fits.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Jim-H is offline Registered User Promoted
    Zooming with my mouse is basically unusable. The slightest scroll with the center wheel will take a plan from a "filled window" to a small dot on the screen. Even with the mouse settings on their minimum for vertical scrolling.

No problems with panning though.

I'm using a Microsoft 8000 mouse with Vista64.

I remember hearing reading things in the past where users needed to change drivers. My mouse is a Logitech but I am using a microsoft HID (whatever that means) driver. I don't remember if and when I switched drivers but just wanted to let you guys/gals know that you may want to try a different driver. Maybe someone else with more knowledge will respond.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Pat,
    I'd check the mouse setting first; you may be able to adjust the scrolling sensitivity.

Just a hunch, but you may have a video card issue. If adjusting the mouse doesn't work you might try reducing the hardware acceleration, or try preferences>render> options, and uncheck "use open GL for render"
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

I don't know what seems to be happening Bill. I really need to contact Dell I think. I'm getting things happening that didn't happen before, like this zoom and pan thing. It never happened before the update but it might be my computer. The jumping seems to happen when I'm drawing cad lines and I have a symbol involved.

I thought I'd ask incase this seems to be a prevalent issue but I must be in the minority.

Bill mentioned changing drivers. Is this necessary due to the update?

Pat
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

One step to diagnosing these problems would be to uninstall any mouse specific driver software. We have had issues with Logitech where the driver sends scroll events to the window no matter what settings are on in the driver. We worked around this by throwing out these events when they occurred in quick succession to the wheel events.

Another problem we have seen is with the Microsoft Intellipoint driver where extra screen redraws are created for no good reason.

There may be other issues with newer drivers that we haven't run across.

If you aren't using any of the advanced features of the mouse driver then there is no reason to have it installed. However, if you are using some of the features you may need to play with the settings until you get something that works. Or you may need to live with the problems or find another mouse.

Unfortunately, the really complicated mice with extra buttons tend to be the most problematic.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

FYI I'm using an 8 button Logitech MX518 with no problems at all since Doug put in the Logitech fix.(X1) I have these on 3 different computers running XP all programmed to the max.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

I am using a Logitech track ball and I don't have any problem like this, my problem is that the pan zoom feature (which I love) changes to the move up and down and sideways arrows when I am in plan view but only sometimes?
    Very confusing, any ideas?

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Andy,
    I also use a Logitec trackball (Thumb). I get that up/down/sideways arrow when I have the wheel depressed when I roll (scroll) in/out.
    The wheel is actually a 3rd button.
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim

www.eastbaydesign.net
    East Bay Design, Inc

Hey thanks Jim, I uses the wheel as a third button also but some times I get the up/down/sideways arrow and sometimes I get the grasping hand for panning. I just can't figure out why it seems to change on me from one to the other?

I may start a new thread on this.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

"8 button Logitech MX518"

Goggled it

- Looks like a winner - am using 5 button logitech w/no problems, is wireless - The MX on cord? That may make it more reliable if there were problems.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5

My MX518 is corded but I think it comes wireless as well. I prefer the cord.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan

I have to use ACAD at work (I know, I know..) and one feature I like is that when I press and hold the center wheel down, the mouse arrow turns into a little hand and I can drag (pan) the image around. Is there anyway to do this in CA 10? I hate holding the shift kay and dragging, but only after hitting the space bar to get out of whatever command you were in, etc. Using the mouse would be so much faster.
    Carter D. Shackelford
    Certified Professional Building Designer
    Custom Design Services
    Austin, TX