Thread: Barrel dormer

Barrel dormer

I am having a hard time figuring out how to make this barrel dormer. I have watched the training videos and tryed a couple of different methods. The dormer pictured was created using the auto floating dormer tool. I don't understand where the strange lines below the soffit, or the horizontal trim heading out to infinity are coming from. I changed a number of the default settings on the dormer tool but they still appear. I also tried doing the dormer from scratch but when I try to trim the dormer to the roof plane it erases 3/4 of the roof plane. Thats problem number 1. What I really want to get is a round top (broken arch is shown) window above 2 dbl hungs and the barrel dormer centered on the round top. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mike,

I would do that with a gable and change it into a barrel.

Thanks Louis.
    That helped. There were still a couple of funky things that happened. The soffit went vertical and the hole thru roof became non-selectable. (I tryed to tab but could not get it.) I made my own hole thru roof a placed points to get a somewhat elliptical shape.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Image.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	21469  

For what its worth, that looks like a structural nightmare.
    Rich C. SDSInc
    Bayport, NY

X5
    Windows 7 64
    Alienware 17" Laptop - full time use - 14GB
    i7 3720QM
    Nvidia GTX 675M - 2GB

Yes, it is more complex, but not a nightmare. My wife worked on the design of this project 15 years ago and we are now making some changes to make it wheelchair accessible. So the good news is the dormers are all ready there and we won't be changing them.