Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Doug,

I must Clarify, I have an extensive library of text (notes) with leader lines that I have created over the years (Legacy Plans), I insert/copy and place where needed.

I have been using Ver 9.5 since it came out (4 years ago)
    60 hours a week and still use it today. That's a lot of time creating Chief working documents. There is no question, the leaders are more user friendly (and faster) in 9.5 the leader lines are always where I want them to be.(positioning - ortho)

I must agree that X1 leaders are faster when creating new text and leaders from scratch for every note , but when using older text and leader blocks/libraries (legacy plans) it is slower and leaders needs tweaking.

Mike Corriveau
    Corriveau Cadd

I haven't been keeping track of this thread very closely, so forgive me if this has been addressed already, I scanned/searched through and didn't see it. Just consider it another "Ditto" if so.

If I create a text block, especially in Layout, I think I shouldn't have to go out of text mode and in to select mode to select and copy it. I should be able to select/copy/explode a text block while still in text mode.

Also, I don't understand the logic of blocking text, only to have it change layers when blocked. It should just stay on the same layer in which it was created.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    Hi Bryce

Your posting has brought this thread back to life for me and reminded me of a text issue which has been bothering me.

When entering new text I have the option of adjusting text size but not arrow size since the arrow specification has been removed from the text box.
    I quite often want to add a single block of text at a different scale but dont want to change the default settings to do so.

To my way of thinking text and arrows are inextricably linked. My rule of thumb is that the arrow size should equal text size. If that could be implemented my problem would disappear .
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

I would agree with this. Personally, I tend to have my arrows at 1.5x text size. But I agree with them being inextricably linked and it would be nice to have them more automated like this, or to at least have that option.

Chief X6 Beta

Huh! I never thought about it, but yes - I always change my text and arrow size in tandem. So - Yes, Please - if we don't get some kind of Annotation Styles (where we don't have to change separate settings at all), my second choice would be that they be linked. The arrow size could be a percentage of the text height maybe?

My first choice is still to be able to collect whole groups of settings into Styles of some kind - text size, arrow size, callout size, default layers for text, dimensions, callouts, cad....
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

In every other cad program that I've worked with (that's a lot of them), a leader is a leader...not a text object with a leader line. You set up a leader style (in AC it's a sub-category of dimension styles), and you go. That would sure be nice, and fast, and it would accomodate individual preferences.

Bryce: Blocks are created on the active layer. If you want to make a text object and leader line a block on the text layer, make that the active layer and then create the block. This makes sense if you consider that objects from multiple layers can be blocked. How could the program deal with that scenario other than the way it does now?
    Warren Hirsch

Yes, that crossed my mind Warren. But it seems to me the program ought to know that all you have selected is text and/or leaders and not something else, which is why I said especially in layout. For instance, if you select several text objects, but then select something non-text the "Open" option disappears, so I assume it "knows" I have now selected something in addition to text.

Of course with CAD details (for just one example) you want the text all blocked in there together with the CAD, etc.. But if text is all you selected in the block, why would you want it on a layer other than text? Changing the active layer just seems like a PITA, more clicks than ought be necessary when only working in with text. And it's even more of a PITA that if I block it, I have to switch out of text mode and into select mode just to select a text block. In text mode, you should be able to select and manipulate (block, explode, copy, paste, etc.) a block of nothing but text. Just my opinion.

Chief X6 Beta

I hear you Bryce! I imagine, though, that two different block routines would be a big task to develop. A group tool, on the other hand....
    Warren Hirsch

Hey, whatever works!

Chief X6 Beta

Hi Folks

I don't have time to read this thread, but someone suggested i add my suggestion to this thread. Here it is.

Red lines and little camera symbols indicate the section cuts I make. What I would like to do now is click a few buttons and have those camera symbols turn into section callouts. There are cross references that can result from that, as SutCac suggested, but my goal initially is just to have those camera symbols become section symbols. After all, the camera symbols are in exact positions and occur across all plan views. I have three floors and eight cuts. 3 times 8 equals 24 places I now have to manually place section symbols that I will never be able to get perfect like the computer can. They will all be in different positions. The computer should do this for me. Whatya say?
    The very best to everyone.
    I use Version X1

Quote Originally Posted by MarkST
    Hi Folks

I don't have time to read this thread, but someone suggested i add my suggestion to this thread. Here it is.

Red lines and little camera symbols indicate the section cuts I make. What I would like to do now is click a few buttons and have those camera symbols turn into section callouts. There are cross references that can result from that, as SutCac suggested, but my goal initially is just to have those camera symbols become section symbols. After all, the camera symbols are in exact positions and occur across all plan views. I have three floors and eight cuts. 3 times 8 equals 24 places I now have to manually place section symbols that I will never be able to get perfect like the computer can. They will all be in different positions. The computer should do this for me. Whatya say?
    Me too please. I love it. (And thanks to those who've requested before - this is not a new request, but totally bears repeating)

I would add:

1 - Option to have the camera double as the section call out or not (so working sections don't clutter things up)

2 - Include perspective cameras in this - we use and key those views as well.

3 - Allow us to put them on different layers - so the kitchen one doesn't show on the architectural plan, etc.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Text Options for Chief

Hi All,
    1) Multi leader
    Autocad finally has produced a valuable text leader. I'd like to see Chief implement a similar leader. I must also say, that I love Chief, but do all my construction documents in autocad for a variety of reasons, one being annotation.

Most of my construction notes are in the form of leader, so it saves a lot of time when they work well.

See the attached PDF it explains it better than I could describe it.

2) Grid function - Vectorworks has a grid bubble tool that allow a layout grid to be annotated to plan with numeric or alpha symbols. This helps in complex buildings to keep oriented from one floor to the next. It resides on a layer that is visible on all floors.

3) Callouts - These are good, however it would be better if it had a flag, attached to the callout.

3a) Callout - Revit has a section tool, much like Chief's camera tools. The section tool has bounding boxes (like backclip) to limit the scope of the section cut, and its its own callout. I think the section camera tool should work like this too.

4) I'd like to group text with other items to make blocks

5) fix the export to autocad, so text styles, and type export correctly

Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Great ideas Mike, thanks for chiming in.

I especially love that multi-leader align and collect. Those would be great time savers and improve the appearance of the document also. Would love to have tools like that.

I would recommend copy/paste your post to the suggestion area to make sure Chief reviews it.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Mike,

I love it. I never would have thought to ask for it. But - I love it.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

[QUOTE=mpucci]Hi All,
    1) Multi leader
    Autocad finally has produced a valuable text leader. I'd like to see Chief implement a similar leader. I must also say, that I love Chief, but do all my construction documents in autocad for a variety of reasons, one being annotation.

Most of my construction notes are in the form of leader, so it saves a lot of time when they work well.

See the attached PDF it explains it better than I could describe it.

Mike,

I don't use Autocad, but I am just curious as to why you can't use Chief's Leader Line tool. It seems pretty close to the one described in the .pdf. Not quite as good, I admit, but Chief can do most of those things.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD