Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Barb,

i quit using leaders, too slow, I just use a line on the current layer, with no arrowhead
    Last edited by slatta; 02-07-2008 at 03:37 PM.

1. Show text size in the format you type it without using the numstyle button....which is global. EG. On layout, I use text size of .1....it doesn't display that way. It should, regardless of numstyle setting.

2. To Upper / to lower to change the case of text as reqd.

3. Text leader matching text layer

4. "Smart text/leader"....you should be able to define default layers for annotation (text/leaders, dimensions) attached to objects in the object specification. Any text "attached" to that object is automatically placed on the default text layer for that object.

EG....if you work with base cabinets, a default layer for text objects (text and leaders) could be set in the base cabinet default dialog on a new "annotation" tab. If the leader is started on or near (user defined proximity) a base cabinet, the text and leader would automatically be placed on the default text layer for the base cabinet.
    Al Frey
    Old Timer

I am also forever turning on text layers that I don't want on when adding text to different layer sets. I set up different text layers on each layer set that I work on. Each time I change layer sets I also must change my text layer. It would be nice to text default to each layer set automatically. This also would be good for default cad layer assigned to a layer set, also dimensions.
    Amen... however the macro idea discussed in an earlier post might be the answer to this issue
    -scott

1 - The ability to create text by first drawing the shape of the desired text box. I spend an awful lot of time zooming out, grabbing the far edge, dragging it in...

2 - Then have user controlled options for Chief to place the attachment point of the leader arrow where we want. Vaguely centered is not correct, unless there's a vertical line "gathering" the whole note. It should attach centered on the first line if at left, centered on the last line if at right.

3 - For leader with note at left, option to have it left justify and the leader come to the end of the last line.

4 - For when the arrow is added after text place - Barb's check box for left or right.

5 - Bold, underline, etc - within the text. Also, bullets, indents and numbered lists please.

6 - Callouts obey the default text layer setting.

7 - Similar to Perry's and Kelly's above - maybe an auto complete thing like Word has would work better? No need to go pull off a menu, just hit enter if it's guessing correctly - with it drawing from a list we create.

8 - Options for graphic appearance on callouts - solid fill for one.

9 - Persistent callouts & dimensions - like text on layout page 0. If we could put column designation lines and their tags, section tags, repeating notes, and some of the dimensions on layers that would display on all floor levels, that would be a great QC aid and time saver. I'm saying layers (as opposed to a new "floor level", because I'd like dimensions to be part of this, and they need to attach to something). Reference layer doesn't work because it only goes up or down one level, and we need it for other things.

10 - And of course, the holy grail, automatic linking of section or detail callout to the label on the detail, page number, etc. But, you're already doing that, right?

11 - and finally, my Pet Feature - a much much much faster way to change all the Annotation Defaults, and save them in collections of some sort - particularly default layers, but also size, arrow type & size, etc

Oops - almost forgot one!

12 - A smart text thing that gives a readout of sf for a polyline. I think you'd have to have the attached leader have it's other end glued to the polyline.
    Last edited by WendyWelton; 02-08-2008 at 06:57 AM.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

If I'm reading this right as a matter of priority it looks like making it easier to set the defaults (layer, font, size, etc.) for text is a higher priority than adding font runs. Is this correct?
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by pintodesign
    Thanks Dan...Yes I do sometimes use the text leader tool, however, I have several different text layers, (floor plan text, floor framing text, etc.), and I'd have to change the layer for the text leader every time I switch notes.
    Barb,
    Have you tried this lately? The leader layer changes automatically with the text layer. This was a "bug" that's been fixed.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park
    If I'm reading this right as a matter of priority it looks like making it easier to set the defaults (layer, font, size, etc.) for text is a higher priority than adding font runs. Is this correct?
    It certainly is for me, but I don't want to have to keep changing defaults. I'd love to see some style variables: ability to set up different dimension styles, leader styles, and text styles. Set them up once in the templates and change them with a click or two.
    Warren Hirsch

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park
    What are "font runs"? Is it the bold and such? If so, my answer to this is definately yes. For me this includes dimensions and cad lines as well.

I need to change the default text layer, dimension layer, and default cad layer sometimes as often as every 5or 10 minutes, and almost always as often as every half hour or so. Add the times I'm also changing from details to plan, with the changes is text and arrow sizes for both text and dimensions. It's an awful lot of clicks.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WHirsch
    It certainly is for me, but I don't want to have to keep changing defaults. I'd love to see some style variables: ability to set up different dimension styles, leader styles, and text styles. Set them up once in the templates and change them with a click or two.
    Yes. This sums it up for me also.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

For me I think font runs means, the ability to save typical small phrases or whatever and insert them when needed. I'm always typing the same thing over and over again. a lot of $50 cad programs have this feature.

Thanks
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Yes. This sums it up for me also.
    Ditto. This is one area where I am definitely on the "Improve Con Doc Production" bandwagon.

I can live with the typing (though do like the font run idea) but the defaults issue is a major PITA.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Sorry about the "technical speak". Font runs are what we say when we are talking about inline formatting of text with bold, italic, etc. along with size. We will try to keep that clear in future posts.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Dan,

Then yes, definately - for me, speed in changing defaults first.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Perryh, Once you've typed something you shouldn't have to retype it. You can copy and paste from a saved doc file, save it on a layout page OUTSIDE the printable borders and pull it in when you need it, add it to the library in chief, even have standard layout pages and swap out the drawing by updating a viewport border or two.....

Wendy....Re QDJ....the difference between a dog and cat --> a dog says "you feed me and take care of me....you must be a god!".....a cat says "you feed me and take care of me....I must be a god!".....
    Al Frey
    Old Timer

Al,

"Dogs have masters, cat's have staff". Actually, my cat thinks she's a dog, and we're not telling her the difference. Correction, I just asked her and she thinks she's both a dog and a god.

Dan,

If it really is an either/or choice, I'm bummed. I think the need to reduce the time it takes to change all those $*%^&#% defaults is urgent. I also think that it's a little bit silly that every other program in the world (or so it seems) has indents and bold and underlining and we don't.
    Last edited by WendyWelton; 02-08-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com