Hybrid View

Just a thought after going through this...post...what if the call outs become automatic?? That is if you make the call out and place it on the floor plan and specify it as a section then a pop up appears and adds a work sheet to make your notes on and then asks which sheet do you what to put this section on in the layout??As well as do you with to save this?? And yes Wendy has nice call outs and they remind me of AUTOCAD files where we wrote scripts and pushed a button then it would go do it. I hate AUTOCAD .ugh!!.... Can't believe i used to teach it...ugh!!! Even DATACAD was better..
    Call outs need to be enhanced someway..AND a lot of good thoughts here. I would like to see them filled and when placed in the drawing then it would also place them on the other side of the plan as well. From the first placement...Just a thought..
    Last edited by arlan tingley; 02-14-2008 at 11:23 AM.

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    Doug

I just checked again and found that if the entire arrow is included in the selection it works- my test just picked up half the arrow.
    Slightly of subject but that reminds of another Datacad feature - one icon for selcting everything contained within a selection and another contained and touched by selection. Small difference but large improvement in functionality.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Quote Originally Posted by marty
    Doug
    Slightly of subject but that reminds of another Datacad feature - one icon for selcting everything contained within a selection and another contained and touched by selection. Small difference but large improvement in functionality.
    Marty,

Do you mean like the options contained in Preferences...Edit...Marquee Select:

Intersect Rectangle
    Contained in Rectangle
    Center Inside Rectangle
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    OK OK Ok- - another option I was unaware of - thats exactly what I meant - but much more useful if accesible directly off the toolbar not buried in preferences.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Quote Originally Posted by marty
    OK OK Ok- - another option I was unaware of - thats exactly what I meant - but much more useful if accesible directly off the toolbar not buried in preferences.
    I use these settings all the time, and would dearly love to have them on toolbar buttons. I change these so often that I would like to be able to hotkey them.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

FWD is offline Registered User Promoted
    JP Ware
    "Take a look at how AutoCad handles text and dims, "

I would agree with that.

Doug,

I must Clarify, I have an extensive library of text (notes) with leader lines that I have created over the years (Legacy Plans), I insert/copy and place where needed.

I have been using Ver 9.5 since it came out (4 years ago)
    60 hours a week and still use it today. That's a lot of time creating Chief working documents. There is no question, the leaders are more user friendly (and faster) in 9.5 the leader lines are always where I want them to be.(positioning - ortho)

I must agree that X1 leaders are faster when creating new text and leaders from scratch for every note , but when using older text and leader blocks/libraries (legacy plans) it is slower and leaders needs tweaking.

Mike Corriveau
    Corriveau Cadd

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward
    Marty,

Do you mean like the options contained in Preferences...Edit...Marquee Select:

Intersect Rectangle
    Contained in Rectangle
    Center Inside Rectangle
    Yes this is good but ACAD simplifies this. Draw the marquee left to right and it is inclusive, right to left it is only fully contained items. No clicking to change preferences or hot keys...after a few times it becomes second nature which way to pull the marquee.
    Karl Koning, Registered Architect - WA, CPBD
    Koning Designs
    AIBD-WA V.P.; Membership Chair
    X5-4/WIN7-64

Quote Originally Posted by ktkcad
    Yes this is good but ACAD simplifies this. Draw the marquee left to right and it is inclusive, right to left it is only fully contained items. No clicking to change preferences or hot keys...after a few times it becomes second nature which way to pull the marquee.
    Karl,

Yes, this is how acad works and I like it very much. I was trying not to go the "acad does it..." route!

Dan,

I've used acad forever, taught it, trained it, etc. This is not a feature that people have trouble getting. As a matter of fact, I've found people get the hang of it far easier than remembering where the $#*%&%^ this setting is buried in the menu. And Karl is right, it becomes second nature amazingly fast.

I would be perfectly happy with that solution. I'd also be perfectly happy with hotkeys. It's having to drill down 3 clicks to get to this setting, after I stop to remember just where it's hidden, that's not floating my boat.

Remember that anything available only via a menu has the same downside. Just which menu is nowhere near as intuitive as you might think. Stair sections moving independently for instance: Is it a Default? A Preference? Edit? No wait, it's "Architectural"! Huh? You might just as well call that category "we couldn't decide".
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)