Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Research: Text and Callouts

We are researching future text and callout tool development. We have reviewed user suggestions given through email, suggestions forum, in person, the beta team and tech support. Any additional input you might have is appreciated.

Regarding text and callout tools:
    • What single feature/function is most important to add to Chief Architect?
    • Is there any functionality you commonly use in other programs but Chief Architect lacks?
    • Any suggestions/feedback you have regarding text and callouts?

All feedback will be reviewed by our development team.
    Jeff Moyer
    Software Engineer
    Chief Architect

make the text/callout default to the current cad layer then you only have to keep track of its layer there

Yes, I would like to see an area to save typical phrases such as "new stucco" and re-use time and time again. this would save a lot of time and I don't want to put those in my library as it would become too large and hard to find other items. You could customize any typ. phrase you want, open text dbx and insert.
    thanks
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Jeff,

The one thing I miss was the ability to add a menu item, that had a drop down list of text that was pertinent to what I was doing. e.g. most of the text that was needed for detailing a foundation plan would reside in that drop down menu item that I created, like "FOUN" for foundation text.

This has probably been ask for in the past, but I would like copy and add a couple of room definitions.

Kelly
    Last edited by Kelly K; 02-07-2008 at 09:02 AM.

I am also forever turning on text layers that I don't want on when adding text to different layer sets. I set up different text layers on each layer set that I work on. Each time I change layer sets I also must change my text layer. It would be nice to text default to each layer set automatically. This also would be good for default cad layer assigned to a layer set, also dimensions.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh
    I am also forever turning on text layers that I don't want on when adding text to different layer sets. I set up different text layers on each layer set that I work on. Each time I change layer sets I also must change my text layer. It would be nice to text default to each layer set automatically. This also would be good for default cad layer assigned to a layer set, also dimensions.

Dito! This would be an outsiding improvement as I too use different layer sets in a set of plans and get tired of always having to change the text layer. I use the AIA (thanks for adding this to XI) conventional layer set for the floor plan but use different AIA layer sets for the framing and electrical work.

Another thing that would be nice would be the ability to change the layer of say a window to for example a layer for Existing Window before inserting the window into the drawing. But then this is another subject.

Thanks
    Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA

Neal/Perry,

Check out this thread: http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=34156
    It will very likely (I'm hoping & praying!!) be built in to one of the next versions of Chief.

Jeff, I'm glad you asked!

1. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box different [SIZE="1"]font sizes[/SIZE].
    2. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box bold or not.
    3. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box Itallic or not.
    3. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box Underlined or not.
    4. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box different [COLOR="Red"]Colors[/COLOR]

Yep, that would make me a happy camper!
    Last edited by Allen Brown; 02-07-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Callouts drawn on 1st floor can be available on all other floors including foundation. Thanks.
    Bob
    X1

1. Show non-printing symbols (esp. TABS)
    2. Simplify the DBX so it's all on one page, and/or keep the current layer, lineweight, etc. on a continuously displayed menu bar so the text content will always be the main DBX. Opening a text item, and then having FIVE different tabs is really way too complicated.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

I'll second all of the above especially Richard's number 2.

I'd like to be able to set a default width for the text box to come in at (like it did before V10), then I could resize the text box to fit my space/number of lines.

I'd like to specify text alignment in the default box regardless of where the arrow is. I like all my text lined up on the left even if the arrow points to the right. In X1 an arrow on the right automatically justifies the text to the right.

Auto-complete text would be sweet.
    Maureen
    X6.current

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Brown
    Neal/Perry,

Check out this thread: http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=34156
    It will very likely (I'm hoping & praying!!) be built in to one of the next versions of Chief.

Jeff, I'm glad you asked!

1. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box different [SIZE="1"]font sizes[/SIZE].
    2. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box bold or not.
    3. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box Itallic or not.
    3. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box Underlined or not.
    4. The ability to make different lines/words in a text box different [COLOR="Red"]Colors[/COLOR]

Yep, that would make me a happy camper!
    this won't do it, i don;t know how to program my hot keys, i just want it the way most other cad is thats all.

as I have said before, don't reinvent this cad stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Levin
    Callouts drawn on 1st floor can be available on all other floors including foundation. Thanks.
    this can be achieved by adding common layers that are available for all floors..

and common cad layers for things such as columns, very difficult/impossible to effeciently line up columns that go thru multiple floors

I'd like to have a checkbox to have the arrow show up on the left or right side of the text.

Quote Originally Posted by pintodesign
    I'd like to have a checkbox to have the arrow show up on the left or right side of the text.
    Have you used the text leader tool? It's much faster than adding an arrow to a text box.
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Thanks Dan...Yes I do sometimes use the text leader tool, however, I have several different text layers, (floor plan text, floor framing text, etc.), and I'd have to change the layer for the text leader every time I switch notes.
    I like that the arrow that's accessed from the text box is always the same layer as the text. Does that make sense?
    The text leader tool is faster, but I always seem to end up with the text on one layer, and the leader on another!
    Thanks for asking...