Adjust Material Definition Tool

I'm making this bench. I added a wood grain and I want to rotate the wood grain for a better effect. Usually this works for me but this time it's not... I'm using the Adjust Material Definition Tool to rotate the wood grain on certain parts of the bench. When I rotate one area, all the rest of the wood grain on the bench changes with it.

Thanks
    Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bench wood.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	21257  
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

Give the parts of the bench difenent material definitions before you convert it to a symbol; this will allow you to asign grain direction as you wish.

Also be sure to create a new woodgrain with the rotated grain direction; don't rotate the original.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Bill's advice will work, but I suspect there's a better way in X1.

The reason this used to work for you and does not now is that Chief 10 used different material definitions for the vertical and horizontal orientations. Chief X1 uses the same material - not 100% sure how they handle the orientation change. I know that changing the material definition rotates it everywhere.

The reason I suggest there might be a better way is that I'm not so sure adding Material-itis back into the mix would be a step forward. It will definately work in the short term (and sometimes you just need to get the $*%^#^% thing out the door and get paid!)

You need to find where to rotate it only on an individual part. I know it can be done. If it couldn't, we wouldn't have single material definitions and symbols with more than one grain direction. If you do a bit more hunting and find out exactly how to do this, post back and let us know.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I had to watch the tutorial to see where it was..
    All depends how many things in the plan need the material changed if it is better to check that or just make a new material..
    In 10 we had the same material 2x so the grain was going both ways..

I had forgotten about the new material painters..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	21264  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

In X-1 material direction can be mapped by a surface. Look in the manual.

I've never had V10, only X1 and I remember Kay mentioning to me that this situation was a problem with V10 and she was glad that X1 got that fixed.

I'll figure this out...I was curious as to why the Adjust Material Definition tool used to work and now doesn't work the same.

Pat
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas