Thread: Building Codes

Adam is offline Registered User Promoted

Building Codes

I want to know if I can design a house with this software without any knowledge of building codes, etcetera.

I don't want a wood framed house, I want to design using steel, stone and concrete as structural elements. I'd like wide open glass walls, fabric roofing for over outdoor spaces above the structure and for enclosed courtyards.

Is this software the software for me?

Regards

Adam Lossing
    Fujairah, UAE
    (construction worker / artist / EFL teacher)

You can do anything at your own risk!
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Without any knowledge of building codes (or structural engineering, I assume?), I would strongly suggest consulting a professional from the beginning. Computer software is just a tool, like a pencil, it isn't a shortcut to a good design.

Chief is geared very strongly toward wood-frame construction. It is possible to design in the elements you mention, but you'll need to learn the program quite well to be able to do this effectively.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

regional codes

Does this software keep the design within the building codes?

I would imagine that these codes differ from region to region, that's why I'm wondering.

No more than using a type writer will fix your spelling or grammar..

Wendy said it better in another thread before,but my quote memory is not that good..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

I assume you mean that the software will produce a design that is up to code.

First, codes vary by locale. So if the software were to attempt to do that we would need to create a set of rules for each locale and keep them up to date. Since these can vary by county and city this would be a huge undertaking.

Second, there are simply way too many special cases and rules that are subject to interpretation by the inspector to be able to solve this problem for even one locale.

There is no software out there that I'm aware of that even attempts to tackle this problem and if it did it would have a big fat disclaimer stating that it is up to you to know your local codes.

Beyond that, the types of designs you are talking about may require an engineer to sign off on them as they may not be covered by the building code anyway.

Don't let that discourage you though. If you have a talent for design use it and find others to work with you to solve the rest of the problems. Chief may or may not be the software for you. I would encourage you to download our trial version and play with it to see if it does what you would like.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I want to know if I can design a house with this software without any knowledge of building codes, etcetera.

I don't want a wood framed house, I want to design using steel, stone and concrete as structural elements. I'd like wide open glass walls, fabric roofing for over outdoor spaces above the structure and for enclosed courtyards.

Is this software the software for me?

Regards

Adam Lossing
    Fujairah, UAE
    (construction worker / artist / EFL teacher)
    you can design without code knowledge, I fix plans like that all the time, every doityourselfer pan I get is done this way

you'll likely need an enginner for the steel and concrete portions of your work..

"is this software for me?"
    not if you think good design is easy with the right software, if you can;t design with a pencil, this software won't help

Jim-H is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Does this software keep the design within the building codes?

I would imagine that these codes differ from region to region, that's why I'm wondering.
    If your asking if the software forces codes on the design, then no.

I think Neal hit it right on the head - Is your pencil up to code ???

Using the software is the same as using a pencil, what you put in is what you get out.

While the software dioes have some consideration/checks for code as Doug said the software just isn't capable of "knowing" the code even for one juridiction.

If you find any software that can do this please let us know.

You can buy the IRC 2006 book from amazon for around $70 and there are lots of other books to read that will increase your chances of designng a "proper" house.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by slatta
    you can design without code knowledge, I fix plans like that all the time
    Why waste time and effort hiring someone to "fix" them later? Is this a smart approach for a good design? Why not get a good grounding from the start?

I get quite a few clients that come to me with plans (some recently with BHG software) that they have slaved and poured over for months sometimes and then I am left to try and pick up the pieces of a design that was based from the beginning on factually false (code) and/or poor (design) premises.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

thanks for the insights

Everyone has been very generous.

I think I'll take the route that Bryce is suggeting and consult a professional very early in the process.

Sketchup should be enough for me to communicate the design ideas I have for now.

Thanks to all.

Adam