Thread: Building Codes

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I want to know if I can design a house with this software without any knowledge of building codes, etcetera.

I don't want a wood framed house, I want to design using steel, stone and concrete as structural elements. I'd like wide open glass walls, fabric roofing for over outdoor spaces above the structure and for enclosed courtyards.

Is this software the software for me?

Regards

Adam Lossing
    Fujairah, UAE
    (construction worker / artist / EFL teacher)
    you can design without code knowledge, I fix plans like that all the time, every doityourselfer pan I get is done this way

you'll likely need an enginner for the steel and concrete portions of your work..

"is this software for me?"
    not if you think good design is easy with the right software, if you can;t design with a pencil, this software won't help

I think Neal hit it right on the head - Is your pencil up to code ???

Using the software is the same as using a pencil, what you put in is what you get out.

While the software dioes have some consideration/checks for code as Doug said the software just isn't capable of "knowing" the code even for one juridiction.

If you find any software that can do this please let us know.

You can buy the IRC 2006 book from amazon for around $70 and there are lots of other books to read that will increase your chances of designng a "proper" house.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by slatta
    you can design without code knowledge, I fix plans like that all the time
    Why waste time and effort hiring someone to "fix" them later? Is this a smart approach for a good design? Why not get a good grounding from the start?

I get quite a few clients that come to me with plans (some recently with BHG software) that they have slaved and poured over for months sometimes and then I am left to try and pick up the pieces of a design that was based from the beginning on factually false (code) and/or poor (design) premises.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Adam is offline Registered User Promoted

thanks for the insights

Everyone has been very generous.

I think I'll take the route that Bryce is suggeting and consult a professional very early in the process.

Sketchup should be enough for me to communicate the design ideas I have for now.

Thanks to all.

Adam