Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A copy of the IRC is available at the local township office, but driving over there to look something up is not cost effective compared to paying a hundred bux to have it on the computer.

There are a lot of codes and standards that are incorporated by reference from the ICC code sets. The 2003 IRC references ACI318-02, ASCE7-02, etc. So far they have been trying to include the applicable parts of them directly in the code - the entire wind section of the ICC code set is almost a cut and paste from ASCE7-02.

That is soon going to stop - they are going to reference the applicable sections of the supporting specialty standards so if you don't like having to buy the code now, you are going to purely hate it later when you also have to buy and understand ASCE7-02, the NDS (for wood), ACI318-02, the National Electric Code (which you have to buy seperately now), and perhaps some other documents.

I have all of them - my self study plan had me read all of them. I'm hoping they don't change the code version any time soon. I'll replace them all with the new versions if it comes to that, I think its a requirement for doing this to have the right info at hand, one should not "guess", when it can be looked up in a minute or two, but I'm not looking forward to it.

The 2005 NDS is out (ASD and LRFD combined), I haven't bought it yet. I think it contains some useful design info for shorter brace walls of the same total shear resistance as longer walls, that would be handy for garages (lot of door, little wall), but until its incorporated by emendment or by the local jurisdiction, it probably doesn't matter (although it might be used to convince the plans checker if it came to that).

Fitch

Originally posted by frwillia
    A copy of the IRC is available at the local township office, but driving over there to look something up is not cost effective compared to paying a hundred bux to have it on the computer.
    Fitch
    I have the books myself...I don't like reading manuals, etc on a computer screen...I like to sit in a reclliner with my coffee, and read the old fashioned way...here the building official actually has a real job, so the office is not always open to go look something up on short notice...easier to own the book ..

Originally posted by Tim O'Donnell
    I have the books myself...I don't like reading manuals, etc on a computer screen...I like to sit in a reclliner with my coffee, and read the old fashioned way...
    I have the books too, coffee and a good chair is the prefered way to learn. But sometimes, the search routine is really handy ...

I only have the ICC stuff on the PC, all the others are paper. Don't think the NDs is available on disc. Although they have some great free downloads on their WEB site.

Fitch