Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Building Code Online?

Does anyone know of a source for building codes online, or on CD? Would be a great time saver to be able to copy/paste written requirements, for exhample ventilation required for crawl spaces and attics, into layout.
    Jere Johnson
    Version X3 & X4 & X5 latest
    Electra Glide Standard

Jere,
    The 2000 International Residential Code is available on CD. Check the following web site for details.
    http://www.sbcci.org/store5/merchant.ihtml?id=97&step=2
    Cheers
    Bob Medvetz

Online building code

Until today, I had been using
    http://www.amlegal.com/icc_nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates$fn=contents-nf.htm$3.0&tt=main-nf.htm&t=contents-nf.htm&tf=_self&cp=%2F

This site had the full 2003 International Residential Code for viewing. They have reworked their web site, and now I can't find it. Are there any other sites which have it online?

Allan

chief has the IRC built-in. See the tools menu.

I'm not sure if it is the entire IRC or just a summary.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

www.iccsafe.org
    This the the website fro the International Code Council who write and publish the codes.

Ken

Ken:

No free stuff tho, everything is for sale.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Originally posted by lbuttery
    chief has the IRC built-in. See the tools menu.

I'm not sure if it is the entire IRC or just a summary.

Lew
    It sure ins't the whole thing. I have the whole thing on a CD from ICC. The "whole thing" is huge.

Fitch

Fitch, Is the cd worth the money? Is it easy to search for something?
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

Originally posted by kernsdan
    Fitch, Is the cd worth the money? Is it easy to search for something?
    Yes to both. I have what they call "The Complete Collection" on this computer. It has all the ICC codes. When there is a question I can call it up on the second monitor and search it right then. If necessary, to communicate with my builder, I can clip paragraphs right of of it and put it in a report to him.

If I need more detail than is in the IRC I can go to the code for the discipline in question.

Was really useful recently when we had a discussion about stairs and how they are dimensioned. The code minimum dimensions were causing trouble when changing an old house plan to bring it up to code. I showed him the paragraph from the code, QED, argument over - we redesigned to accomodate the code compliant stairs which needed an 18" longer stairwell than was used formerly.

Fitch

Like Allan, I use to use amlegals web page for 'free' online access as well...I have the books, but I would copy/paste from the site when i needed, also to save the cost of the cd...I'm not aware of another location online.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Fitch
    We also use the irc2003 code but CT does have some amendments which they added.
    For example, a non-conforming set of stairs does not have to be "corrected" because it is an exisiting condition.
    I'm surer other states have their own corrections which are important to their state.
    Take Care

Jim

Fitch, How much was your complete set?
    Thanks!
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

Originally posted by kernsdan
    Fitch, How much was your complete set?
    Thanks!
    I don't remember, but I bought it at the Contractors Book Store on Canoga Avenue in the San Fernando Valley, CA, before we move out here to PA. It was less in the store than on the WEB site. Its available on the ICCSAFE website.

I also bought the CD with the commentary on the IRC when it came out. The commentary CD is not nearly as useful as I had hoped it would be - the commentary for ACI318-02 and the WFCM were both so darn good that I was maybe expecting more than was reasonable. The Complete Collection was a better investment.

-----------------

The stairs I was talking about were in a plan for a house to be built, not existing - although several houses have been built to the old version of the plan - and the owners like them a lot. They wouldn't have had to be changed if it was a remodel, but a new house has to be completely compliant - so I had to redo the plans to have compliant stairs for future builds.

Its done, 4 have been built and sold with the new stairs and the code compliant plans. The sun came up as expected and none of the dire consequences forecast by the naysayers who resisted the building code came true. Every single one of the new code compliant versions of that house has sold before the framing was completed even at the new higher price that resulted from code compliance. <G>

Near as we can tell, code compliance increased the cost of the house, a starter house, about 6%. In my opinion, that's a bargain.

Truth be told, the 2 builders I support could sell more houses than they can build.

Fitch

my gripe is they make a code with the effect of law, then charge you to see what that law is...BS... if they enact a law (or adopt the code) they should publish it for free...

Originally posted by Tim O'Donnell
    my gripe is they make a code with the effect of law, then charge you to see what that law is...BS... if they enact a law (or adopt the code) they should publish it for free...
    When I lived in boondocks Florida, a printed copy of the applicable code was made available to the public at the library. If it wasn't there, it couldn't be enforced, according to the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer of the County Planning and Zoning Department. Considering this particular county was in general anything but enlightened, or in any way progressive, I was pleasantly surprised that this was actually done.

There are any number of codes and industry standards that are incorporated by reference in laws, regulations, and contracts at all levels of government throughout the U.S. I think at some point, government is going to have to come to grips with the problem of who pays for publishing them on the Internet. I suspect the debate is only a court decision or two away.