Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You're right Allen, that's a good idea. I can use some of the extra page size for a custom title block for that size of page layout. I will stick to the 8.5"x11" for emailing printable prelim's & emails though(pdf), as I don't want to make it any more complicated than I have to, as most of my clients don't have legal size paper laying around.

Thanks,

Richard

It is handy to have though for letters that are just a bit to long for 1 page but not worth using a whole sheet for 1 or 2 lines..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Allen;

Don't know if you already have enough answers, but here's my way of doing it. I have my plans set up to print at 36x24 (Arch D) size. When I want a letter size set, I just print to pdf and set up the pdf paper size as Arch D, and be sure to print in Landscape mode. It will go to the pdf print, and then when I want to print, I just print to 8 1/2 x 11. This way, I dont have to mess with any of my settings in Chief. Any of the plans that I have posted on Chief Portal, are done this way, and they can be printed any size.
    Last edited by PhoenixConstruction; 01-23-2008 at 08:08 PM.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

George:

I do this also, probably got the method from you.

For clarification it should be pointed out that the smaller prints won't be to scale.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Thanks George
    I had printed to Tabloid size pdf.And the thought I was printing to to letter size,maybe I selected Legal because it was taking 2 pages..
    Will try it again and only select 1 page instead of 2 copies of the whole thing..
    Know it was user error,just not sure what was doing wrong to fix it and do it right..

If my dog wants to go out and then comes in one more time,I'll be a cat person..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

Follow up on this.
    User error
    My small printer had the paper size set up wrong.Must have been me..
    Hope this helps someone else..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (Large) (2).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	22354  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4

I think many of the ways of doing this were hit on. There are indeed many options.

When printing to scale there are quite a few considerations. Paper size, whether the scale needs to be a "normal" scale, does the print out need to accurately display the scale etc.

If you want to create a set of prints that can be easily scaled then the first thing to do is choose a paper size that will scale well. Arch and ANSI sizes use 2 different aspect ratios depending on the paper size. So E, C, and A scale nicely as well as D and B. ISO sizes are designed so the aspect ratio is the same for all sizes which means you can fit your drawing to any ISO paper size in the same series without having left over space.

ANSI A is 8 1/2 x 11 so starting with E or C gives you a nice size when you need to scale down for most US printers. B is tabloid size so it also scales down from D nicely on many US printers.

The second thing to do is decide whether showing the scale is correct or not. If it is then you will need to print directly from Chief to get the %scale macro to show up correctly on the printout.

Once you have this setup there are several print options. If you want to scale down from say C to A or D to B in ARCH or ANSI sizes then you can choose 1/2 scale in check plot dialog. If you don't care to produce a good scale, then you can choose fit to paper and print to any paper size. In this case the output will be fit to the paper, ignoring printing boundaries, and centered on the paper.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Hi Doug
    It comes down to my user error though.The paper size was set longer than letter in my printer.It was printing 2 sheets for each page.
    No matter how much good advise I got,it would not have helped fix that.

It is as easy as described..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859

Drafter for:

Chief Architect X4