Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Ha!.....Louis, the *K_A_* Trainer on steroids! That may be better than pro baseball......No, but it'll have to do.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Thanks for the input Larry. I knew there was a good reason why we did this.

I would also agree that there may need to be more control on this. One possibility would be to have a way to mark a manual dimension as being used for feedback or not. This could be a default that you could have on or off depending on your preference and then be able to toggle it on an individual basis.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park
    Thanks for the input Larry. I knew there was a good reason why we did this.

I would also agree that there may need to be more control on this. One possibility would be to have a way to mark a manual dimension as being used for feedback or not. This could be a default that you could have on or off depending on your preference and then be able to toggle it on an individual basis.
    That sounds like a great idea Doug. The individual user could set the basic preference and override on an individual basis.

I think the difference in X1 is that when you select a wall it turns on "All" dimensions that relate to that wall in any way, including "Auto" dimensions. That did not happen in previous versions. You just got dimensions that could be used to relocate that wall. I think.

Hang in there Louis. There is always a possible career in sports broadcasting. Lots of new faces at ESPN these days.
    Last edited by Larry Kumpost; 01-30-2008 at 09:07 AM.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Yes, I agree that the ability to snap to points "within" a CAD block would be very useful.

Not just for dimensions but to help locate a CAD block with a point to point move. An example is importing a dwg file from a consultant and aligning that plan to your plan. To do this you need to create a block of the imported plan. If we could select something like the intersection of 2 building grid lines in the block and align that with the corresponding intersection in our plans (with point to point snaps) that would be great.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Yes to Louis's video.
    That should work with point to point at least..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Excellent suggestions....Thanks.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

How about this one.

http://www.lfcompany.com/louis/chief...g%20dimension/

If we're going to talk dimensions we're going to talk dimensions.

This brings up another issue. If in dimensioning from the outside in like in the video I don't get the second snap, if I go the other way I get both snaps but with the same result.
    Last edited by louis; 01-30-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Louis,

On the first one, you need to have the Dimension Defaults "Locate Objects" set to "Surface" and Cad Objects "Lines/Sides" only. The Intersections/On Object snaps needs to be on.........Now who can remember this? It won't be me. I wonder what the solution can be on this one.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Cliff,

That's my point. How is the average user going to know and remember all that.

Why doesn't the snap guide the dimension?
    Last edited by louis; 01-30-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    Why doesn't the snap guide the dimension?
    Louis, That needs to be implemented.....Thanks.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Cliff,

What I would like in that example is on object the snap of choice, I want angle snaps to keep the dimension line perpendicular and I want the dimension to go from the first snap to the second and I want to go in either direction and in any location along that wall.

I think it would be easier for newbies to learn with on object to an object instead of on object to intersection. When you think about it when you get your first snap you are creating an intersection but the intersection snap does not show up the on object does. The snapping to the object creates the intersection. So on the other end you don't have an intersection yet until you snap to the object. Then you have an intersection.

Does this make sense? The pnemonia may have fried my brain.
    Last edited by louis; 01-30-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Louis,

I prefer the On Object snap, as I keep it on at all times. I switch between End and Intersection snaps, so usually I have the Intersection inactive. It seems like they compete for attention when working with walls. I can remember how snaps work for about a day, then have to relearn. As long as we can get a snap on both ends for the dimension to follow, it should work. There are times when I don't use snaps at all for dimensions, but many times when I wish we had them, such as the example you've shown.

I'm thinking the current setup is okay, but add a feature to allow the dimensions to follow snaps, overriding all else.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Oooo. A good dimensioning rant!

I think the point I agree with most strongly is the one regarding snaps. It seems the program's routine that picks up snaps it not fully "integrated" with the dimensioning routine (I won't pretend to understand the programming). And that's the annoying rub about it: If the software picks up a snap - which you can visually see - it should use it, but it does not in many cases. That's kind of like the program pulling a "fast one" on you. If the dimension is not going to snap to the highlighted snap, then don't highlight the snap.

The dimensioning in Chief needs work on the intuitiveness side. Speaking as a relatively new user, it was very frustrating when Chief did not do what you would logically expect it to but then goes off and does something else - on something as basic as dimensioning. Sure, I've learned how it behaves now, but it does take more time and adds to the learning curve. I get how it helps automate things like picking up a bunch of dimensions in a string with one line, but often you just need a single dimension or to have the dimension stay where you put it.

/soapbox off/

-Dave
    - Dave
    X1 11.5
    X3
    X4

Quote Originally Posted by ambrozac
    Ha!.....Louis, the *K_A_* Trainer on steroids! That may be better than pro baseball......No, but it'll have to do.
    That's great Cliff!
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)