Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Louis - thanks for the demo. I tried it, but I don't get any more dimensions when I zoom in. I even zoomed way in. I think because it's an exterior wall.

I did a couple quick pics to illustrate my situation better.

Pic 1 shows the end of a sample house and a setback line in the backyard. The expected result of clicking on that wall should be a vertical dimension line of the room below the wall do I could adjust the exterior wall according to the specific interior dimension I need. That's my understanding of how I would expect the temp dims to work. In this pic, the manual dim. layer is turned off, but it shows anyway. As others have said, there's a reason we have them turned off - we don't want to see them. In my case, I have manual dims to reference setbacks. If I'm moving walls around and I'm within my setbacks, I don't want the dim. from the original wall to the setback line cluttering up my space. That's only reference for the building official on the existing site plan. Temp. dims should be independent of manual dims.

Pic 2 - It's bad enough for manual dims to come on when the layer is turned off, but this shows better the ridiculousness of them coming on when the item they reference is also turned off.

Pic 3 - shows the expected and desired result of clicking on a wall and getting temp dims. Except that I want that 6'-6 7/8" vertical temp dim to also show when I click on the exterior wall so I could move the exterior wall to resize the room to say, 10' on the interior. As it is now, I have to draw a manual dim, use it then delete it.

Pic 4 - Note that if I click on the exterior wall as shown in this pic, I do get a temp dim from the exterior wall to the interior wall. Only because in this sample plan I have no manual dim drawn to a setback on that side. But as soon as I dimension my setback line, I can't get temp room dims there either.

The problem, of course, is that I have dimensions from all the exterior walls to setback and/or property lines. It's one of the first things I do when putting in the existing house. So the current temp dim behavior means I can't get interior temp dims from clicking on any exterior wall.

So I strongly vote for disconnecting temp dim behaviors from manual dims.

Christina
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dim1.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	21078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dim2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	21079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dim3.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	21080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dim4.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	21081  
    Christina Girerd Loud, Architect
    Girerd Designs
    Mountain View, CA
    www.GirerdDesigns.com

X5

Christina,

I get them on exterior walls zoomed in very close.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    I was picking up auto dimensions. Why would I want to reference my auto dimensions if I turned them off intentionally?
    For exactly the reason I noted. Temporary dimensions do not always use points that are useful for a specific task. There are times I may want to locate something properly but do not really need to show the dimension. If the plan is revised I may need to adjust the location of that object(s) and it is nice to get a dimension I can use.

Here is one other example. I will often send detailed plan views to Layout at larger scales, primarily for kitchen's and bath's... rooms with cabinets. I have a separate layer set for that because there is not enough room to show everything at normal plan view scale. I don't normally work in the detail view layerset but I can get those dimensions in any layerset when making revisions.

My question is, What is wrong with having a dimension that gives you exactly what you want pop up as a temporary dimension in lieu of a dimension with useless points. The way this has always worked is that you only get them if you add them. If there is a bug then fix the bug but I object to the change being suggested. I see that as a lost feature.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    I was picking up auto dimensions. Why would I want to reference my auto dimensions if I turned them off intentionally?
    Exactly. If I want to see them, I'll display the layer. If it's off, I want it to stay that way. A Temp. Dimension pops up, but without the clutter of other turned off dimensions.
    Last edited by ambrozac; 01-29-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Cliff:

Suppose I happen to be working in my "Presentation" Layerset which normally has very few (if any) dimensions:

The way I see it you are saying that, given the change you suggest, that I must first either change the Layerset or go in and turn on a Layer that has the dimension I need, then select the item, make the change and then go back and change the Layerset or turn off the Layer.

The way it is now all I need to do is select the item and the dimension on the turned of layer pops up as a temporary dimension automatically.

I really don't understand why you have a problem with a useful dimension (one that you can set the way you want) replacing one generated by Chief that may not include the points you need.

This is the way it has worked for a long time. If there is a problem with duplicate temporary dimensions then, as I said before, fix that problem. Don't eliminate a feature that some people find useful.
    Larry

stationery.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kumpost
    This is the way it has worked for a long time. If there is a problem with duplicate temporary dimensions then, as I said before, fix that problem. Don't eliminate a feature that some people find useful.
    Larry,

I certainly don't want to do away with something, that someone finds useful. I hope I didn't give that impression. I was only stating what I would like to see implemented.

I prefer an option to either allow turned off layers to show as Temp. Dimensions, or not to allow.

As it is now, I just don't use Temp. Dimensions...at all....after a certain point and this is one reason. I would prefer to keep them on, at all times, but it doesn't work for me. Because of the clutter, of what I consider unnecessary dimensions, I end up drawing manual dimensions, then deleting them.

The way it is now all I need to do is select the item and the dimension on the turned of layer pops up as a temporary dimension automatically.
    I still want the Temporary Dimension to pop up too, but only the one that would normally come up, as if there had been no previous dimensions placed on other layers.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

I believe you can go into the temporary dimension dbx and set the temp dimensions to go to either the exterior or interior face of wall... does this help?

-scott

I believe you can go into the temporary dimension dbx and set the temp dimensions to go to either the exterior or interior face of wall... does this help?

I do see where selecting a wall will now turn on every dimension, automatic and manual that relates to that wall. Don't think that this is the way it worked in the past. Doesn't really bother me that much don't mind if it gets cleaned up a bit either.

If you were just asking to clean this up a bit I would not have a problem but, the way I see it, what you are asking for would eliminate a feature that I (and I am pretty sure others) find useful.

Over the years temporary dimensions have been fixed and broken and fixed again more times than I care to remember. Having the ability to set a dimension with the points you need replace one that doesn't is a very useful tool. Let's not through out the baby with the bath-water.
    Larry

stationery.

This is not the best example, but maybe will demonstrate what I prefer not to see. The first jpg is what I get and don't want. I would rather see what takes place in the 2nd jpg.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	21102 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	21103
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kumpost
    ....but, the way I see it, what you are asking for would eliminate a feature that I (and I am pretty sure others) find useful.
    I don't see how an option would eliminate anything, or that is not my intent. However, I will state that I know nothing at all about programming. If this causes something to be eliminated, then by all means disregard the suggestion.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Cliff:

I understand you had no intent to take anything someone finds useful away because your not that type of person. I feel the same way about everyone that posts here. I did, however, miss where this was being requested as an "option" in the initial posts. My intent was to point out why I believe this is a useful tool. I am always in favor of "options".

Still not sure what the problem is other than avoiding duplication of dimensions but that could be me. I came down with something Sunday night and went to the doctor this afternoon. Turns out I managed to get "the" (as in "the nastiest") flue of the season so, according to the doctor, the next couple weeks will not be much fun. As a result I may have some trouble thinking clearly for a while.
    Larry

stationery.

according to the doctor, the next couple weeks will not be much fun. As a result I may have some trouble thinking clearly for a while
    You got that right. I had the flu and now have pneumonia and I cannot think clearly.

Get well soon Larry!

Our family has gone through the flu too, but all better now. From start to finish took about a month to get over completely. Larry, you and Louis both get well soon! This dimension thing will work itself out. If it can be done, I'm sure they'll try.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Cliff,

I'm being treated with steroids now. Congress has called and informed me that my pro baseball days are over.