Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Christina,

In your situation zoom in and you will get a temporary dimension even though a manual is present.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    Just curious, what are those CAD objects on both sides of each door...and are you sure that your manual dimension is not picking up one edge of one of those?
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Larry,

Those are shutters and yes I'm sure it's not picking up one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kumpost
    Just curious, what are those CAD objects on both sides of each door...and are you sure that your manual dimension is not picking up one edge of one of those?
    It's attached to the wall. Otherwise it wouldn't highlight.

What I can't figure out is where those gray dimensions across the top of the screen came from. Louis, do you have dimensions on layers not shown?
    Sarah Mitchell

This is probably not the situation you have Louis, but if you have the same manual dimension, but on a different Layer and turned off, when you select a wall, it will pop up as a Temporary Dimension. It is the same in V10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	21047 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	21048
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

The more I look at this the stranger it gets. On this plan so far all dimensions are on the default layer.

It seems that using temporary dimensions bring up auto dimensions that are tuned off. I have some auto dimensions but they are turned off. There are not dimensions on any other layers besides the two.

I'm getting this same action on a 10 plan. I did not remember them coming up even when they are off.

Which brings up this question. Do we need this kind of action?
    Last edited by louis; 01-28-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louis
    The more I look at this the stranger it gets. On this plan so far all dimensions are on the default layer.

It seems that using temporary dimensions bring up auto dimensions that are tuned off. I have some auto dimensions but they are turned off. There are not dimensions on any other layers besides the two.

I'm getting this same action on a 10 plan. I did not remember them coming up even when they are off.

Which brings up this question. Do we need this kind of action?
    Some have requested that temporary dimesions appear regardless of whether or not a manual/auto dimension is present. I could see generating a temp if the dimension is on a hidden layer but if dims are already present, the plan could become complicated/hard to read with additional temporary dimensions (overlapping with the one you want to use, difficult to read, etc.)

If you find any other problems with temporary dimensions, let us know. I hope they're at the point now where they're useful.
    Sarah Mitchell

I would prefer Temporary Dimensions ignore dimensions on other layers that are turned off, but still produce a Temp. dimension.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Cliff,

That is definitely what I would prefer.

I would prefer Temporary Dimensions ignore dimensions on other layers that are turned off, but still produce a Temp. dimension.
    No so sure about that. Temporary dimensions don't always give you points that are easy to work with. Where I have that problem I will run a dimension, set up for the points I need, and assign that to my "Layout/no plot" layer which is off in most views. That way the dimension that pops up has the points I need not some meaningless points that temporary dimensions tend to pick up at times.

Just something to think about.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrozac
    Me too. If I can't see 'em, I can't use 'em.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I would suggest that a temporary dimension is only valuable if another dimension that locates things in the same way is not visible. I see no reason to clutter things up with duplicate dimensions.

The idea behind using the manual dimensions is that they probably locate what you want better than temporary dimensions. This may not be true in every case. Perhaps the solution is to check to see if the temporary dimension marked items are duplicated by another dimension.

Using the hidden dimensions instead of creating new temporary dimensions has been a feature of Chief for quite a few versions. I think we did this because someone asked for it, but I'm not 100% on that.

We added the ability to show temporary dimensions when other dimensions are not visible in X1. There is the possibility of a flaw in the logic that both Cliff and Louis have pointed out. Do both dimensions work to move the wall in these cases?
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Do both dimensions work to move the wall in these cases?
    The answer is yes most of the time. However I have seen this flake out and not work to move the wall. This is stated in a previous post of mine. I cannot duplicate the problem I just know it happens.

The idea behind using the manual dimensions is that they probably locate what you want better than temporary dimensions.
    I was picking up auto dimensions. Why would I want to reference my auto dimensions if I turned them off intentionally?
    Last edited by louis; 01-29-2008 at 09:36 AM.