Metric users - Scaling problem with SketchUp file import

Hi Glen..

When using the new routine to bring a SketchUp model directly into Chief without having to first export it from SketchUp, I have come across a major oversight for we users running in the world of Metric measurments... somehing else that Sarah Parker will have to look at.

Originally, to get a SketchUp model into Chief I would export it from SketchUp as an OBJ file... and even though the model may have originally been developed by a user in the US using Imperial measuments, I would flag the option in SketchUp's OBJ export routine to export the model in 'millimetres'.

This would then ensure that when the model was imported into Chief using the Create Symbol Wizard it would come in at the correct size.

The problem is that when using the new Direct Import routine to load a SketchUp model from a fantastic model library site like 'Formfonts 3D' (www.formfonts.com), the routine doesn't take this change from Imperial to Metric into account... and as a result the model always comes into Chief at 2.54 times smaller than it's actual size.

It would seem that we need some way of being able to tell Chief what the measurement measurement format was used to create the model... yards, feet, inches, metres, centimetres, millimetres, etc, so that Chief knows what scaling factor to apply to the imported model.
    Ian Hughes
    Australian Chief Architect Dealer

Chief Australia Software
    PO Box 700
    Victoria Park, 6979
    Western Australia

Ph: 1300 134 870
    (just the cost of a local call from anywhere in Australia)

Email: ian@chiefaustralia.com.au
    Web Site: www.chiefaustralia.com.au

Metric Users - OBJ import bug in 1.4

Have discovered that when using the Create Symbol Wizard with an OBJ file exported out of SketchUp in millimetres, when importing into Chief in 'millimetres', the model comes in at the correct size... but the automaically created 2D representation is 2.54 times smaller than it should be.
    Ian Hughes

Chief Australia Software
    PO Box 700
    Victoria Park, 6979
    Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by aussiechief
    Hi Glen..

When using the new routine to bring a SketchUp model directly into Chief without having to first export it from SketchUp, I have come across a major oversight for we users running in the world of Metric measurments... somehing else that Sarah Park will have to look at.

Originally, to get a SketchUp model into Chief I would export it from SketchUp as an OBJ file... and even though the model may have originally been developed by a user in the US using Imperial measuments, I would flag the option in SketchUp's OBJ export routine to export the model in 'millimetres'.

This would then ensure that when the model was imported into Chief using the Create Symbol Wizard it would come in at the correct size.

The problem is that when using the new Direct Import routine to load a SketchUp model from a fantastic model library site like 'Formfonts 3D' (www.formfonts.com), the routine doesn't take this change from Imperial to Metric into account... and as a result the model always comes into Chief at 2.54 times smaller than it's actual size.

It would seem that we need some way of being able to tell Chief what the measurement measurement format was used to create the model... yards, feet, inches, metres, centimetres, millimetres, etc, so that Chief knows what scaling factor to apply to the imported model.
    Are you exporting your SKP file to an SKP file in millimeters or are you saving in your SKP file in millimeters.

Better yet, if you could send in your SKP file, I will look at it. I have a hunch that it's something else...

Thanks,
    Sarah Mitchell

Ian,

After some investigation, you are correct. The direct route is not taking scale into account for any file type (OBJ, SKP, DXF, etc) in metric plans. I also noted that the generated 2D symbol is 2.54 times smaller than the imported object for SKP files when done through the Symbol Wizard; however, the 3D model appears to be correct.

The bad news is that anyone working in metric plans will need to go through the Symbol Wizard to import symbols, unless you draw your symbols 2.54 times larger than the size you want.

Also, unless it can be proven otherwise, no matter what scale or measurement you're working in SketchUp, you need to import them into Chief in inches, even if you have a metric plan. You can change the units with the Units drop-down box on the 3D page of the Wizard. If it makes sense, we can put something in that defaults to inches whenever you select a SKP file.

Thanks for finding this and sorry for the inconvenience.
    Sarah Mitchell

Sarah... re your question

Sarah..

My model in SketchUp (downloaded directly from Formfonts 3D as a SketchUp Pro 6 model) is drawn in what SketchUp calls 'Architectural' units, with a prescision to 1/32".

I immediately exported it out of SketchUp, without any alterations, as an OBJ file, but taking care in SketchUp's 'OBJ Export Options' dialog to nominate the scaling units for the exported model as 'millimetres'.

Then when using the Create Symbol Wizard in Chief, I nominate 'mm' as the measurment units for the imported file. The result is that the model is almost exactly to scale... but the 2D block is not... but this can be fixed easily.

Immediately after you've generated the symbol and dropped it into the plan and before addining it into the library, select it... click on the 'open symbol' tool to open the symbol dialog... click on the '2D block' tab... and then the 'Generate Block' button... and the 2D block will immediately re-generate as a new block at the correct size (almost).

The original ridge length on my 'Entrance Canopy' model in SketchUp is shown as 28' 10 5/8" whereas whereas in Chief, after regeneration it shows as 8804mm... which according to my conversion software is 29' exactly.

If you want me to email you the model just send me a private email to ian@chiefaustralia.com.au and I will reply with it attached.
    Ian Hughes

Chief Australia Software
    PO Box 700
    Victoria Park, 6979
    Western Australia

Sarah, you said...

'Also, unless it can be proven otherwise, no matter what scale or measurement you're working in SketchUp, you need to import them into Chief in inches, even if you have a metric plan. You can change the units with the Units drop-down box on the 3D page of the Wizard. If it makes sense, we can put something in that defaults to inches whenever you select a SKP file'

This is not correct... as per my previous reply... I exported from SkechUp as an OBJ in millimetres and imported into Chief via the 'Create Symbol Wizard' in 'mm'... and the resulting 3D symbol is scaled correctly.

What really does worry me is that you have discovered that NON of the Direct file imports scale correctly either for we metric users. Chief has been metric now for 12 years, and in professional software this sort of problem is unacceptable... metric users really have to be seriously considered in every area of the software R&D process. The USA is now the only country that still works in feet and inches... everybody else in the world is metric!

We older guys were exposed to using both types of measument units... Australia converted to metric in 1966... can easily convert from one to the other, but our users who started in school after 1966... basically anyone now under 42 years old... have never been exposed to feet and inches, and definately wouldn't have any clue about how they tie in with metric... so although you and I can say suggest to the metric users to 'export in inches and then import in inches', our users would think that suggestion as totally unrealistic... we need a serious solution to this serious problem.

Please, I know that the concept of Metric is totally foreign in a country that is so heavily entrenched in Imperial, but if you need any help to get this sorted properly I am sure that both Glen and myself are more than willing to provide any assistance to your team that we can.
    Ian Hughes

Chief Australia Software
    PO Box 700
    Victoria Park, 6979
    Western Australia

This is not correct... as per my previous reply... I exported from SkechUp as an OBJ in millimetres and imported into Chief via the 'Create Symbol Wizard' in 'mm'... and the resulting 3D symbol is scaled correctly.
    An .OBJ file is not a SketchUp file. .OBJ is a format SketchUp provides for exporting. .SKP files should be imported in inches. Sorry for the confusion.

What really does worry me is that you have discovered that NON of the Direct file imports scale correctly either for we metric users. Chief has been metric now for 12 years, and in professional software this sort of problem is unacceptable... metric users really have to be seriously considered in every area of the software R&D process. The USA is now the only country that still works in feet and inches... everybody else in the world is metric!
    Considering that 99% (rough estimate) of the rest of the universe uses metric, this discovery disturbs me as well. I did track down the problem, however. I'm going to talk to some people today and see what we can do about this terrible oversight.

The drag and drop/shortcut method of importing is different from the symbol wizard. It doesn't go through the same steps (one is a dialog, the other is automagically processed for you.)

although you and I can say suggest to the metric users to 'export in inches and then import in inches', our users would think that suggestion as totally unrealistic...
    This only applies to .SKP files. Not other formats (such as OBJ, 3DS, and DWG).
    Sarah Mitchell

Note: previously, this was part of the X1.4 announcement thread but it is preferable to keep the questions and/or problems found in X1.4 separate so I took the liberty of moving this here.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Thanks Dermot.
    Sarah Mitchell