Converting ACAD drawn walls into CA walls

I have a drawing that an Architect did in AutoCad and I'm pretty sure there's a way to covert the autocad walls into Chief Walls types....I just can't seem to figure it out. I'm I wrong in thinking this? Does anybody have some insight for me so I don't have to redraw all of these walls?

Thank you!!!!!

I have tried to no avail to get that feature to work "smoothly"...I gave up. I just redraw, or trace over the AutoCAD file.
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

Cory,
    Chief has a Cad to walls tool (Cad/Cad to Walls) and it can work reasonably well on a fairly simple drawing; but the concensus here is that it is generally eaier to import the drawing and simply draw chief walls over the DWG walls, and then do the same with the doors and windows.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Thank you!
    While waiting for a response, I decided to just trace over them...seems I made the right decision!

Thanks again!

No offense to ANY architects here on ChiefTalk - but in my experience an AutoCAD drawing from an Architect isn't worth even trying to convert it to walls...tracing or redrawing it is the way to go...because then you can be certain it's accurate.

I have have too many AutoCAD produced drawings that have way too many errors and dimensions not adding up - especially the ones from Architects....

However the Architects that I have seen using Chief - produce far superior drawings and designs....(in my opinion).

Cad to Walls Problems

Your right Chris! Architect here, but I use CA. The Cad to walls thing sucked when I tried it too. AutoCad mistakes, I guess.

I've many times taken an AutoCAD (or other) created plan and transfered it to Chief and found numerous mistakes and inaccuracies...even things like elevation & section details not addining up..or even elevations not reflecting the plans...

I just redraw it...like I said before, then I know it's right.

When I used Auto CAD in school my instructors would measure all of our walls and such to make sure that we didn't cheat. So I learned how to use it the correct way, which really it isn't that hard of a program I just like that Chief draws it in 3d for you with out having to think about it.
    Caleb Morisette
    Architectural Drafter
    CA 10.08

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefChris
    No offense to ANY architects here on ChiefTalk - but in my experience an AutoCAD drawing from an Architect isn't worth even trying to convert it to walls...tracing or redrawing it is the way to go...because then you can be certain it's accurate.

I have have too many AutoCAD produced drawings that have way too many errors and dimensions not adding up - especially the ones from Architects....

However the Architects that I have seen using Chief - produce far superior drawings and designs....(in my opinion).
    You are so right. We have recieved DWGs that were'nt right in many ways. However, using the "cad to walls" is a bigger pain than it's worth. Nothing to do with an ACAD file.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I've been redrawing ACAD files since I started using chief. Much easier.