Pony Wall Problems

When you fix one thing, another problem pops up. I played with the siding so much on my model that the basement pony walls (walk out basement) do not show the 2 wall types (can get it to display either siding or concrete, but not both). I want siding above and concrete below (worked fine initially). Then I foolishly used the spray can when I was tweaking the look of the siding material and lost the concrete. I have redefined the pony wall defaults. I have checked pony wall and identified the correct material in the wall spec dbx for each wall. Have tried this 2 ways - by specifying default material for the pony wall types (upper and lower) and by specifying the actual material for the pony wall types. Have tried doing it graphically in cross section view, but it the foundation wall disappeared (not just the siding/foundation material). How can I get the concrete and siding to display? What is a work around that avoids pony walls? Does the workaround create vertical wall alignment issues? I have prior versions of the model with the pony wall working ok, but I have done a lot of work since then on stairs and railing materials. Is use of the spray can something I cannot recover from?

Try pulling the walls back to loose the room definition, rebuild floors (F12), reconnect the walls and rebuild again.

Walls and spray can=big trouble. Avoid it like the plague!

If the above doesn't work you could delete the walls and redo them.
    Maureen
    X6.current

I too had problems with the spray can on walls:

See if this thread helps

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....light=covering

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Maureen:

I ended up deleting and redoing the walls. I will not use the spray can for walls again. It was faster/smarter to redo the walls than trying in vain to get the pony walls to work.

At first, I thought pulling the walls back meant pulling at a right angle to the wall, but now I see you meant to pull back at the ends of the wall so it doesn't quite reach the next wall. Will try that too.

Thanks for your help.

Gayle

Thanks Lew. I will have to think about the thread discussion later after shoveling out my car so the plower can do the parking lot. The distinction between creating the wall and decorating it is important. Another consideration is the default settings. Getting them right in the begining is best, but what is the impact if you change them after creating a wall? If the individual materials are set to default rather than the actual material, changing the default should change all instances of the material (specified as default). It all gets down to doing things in the most beneficial way. I would like to try different trim colors in the most efficient way.

Gayle

If you spray paint a wall by mistake and have gone too far to undo, you can always "reset" it, by right clicking near the perimeter of your building (it will highlight grey), click on the open object icon at the bottom, choose the material tab, then change the material to your default siding.
    I always have trouble remembering three things: faces, names, and - I can't remember what the third thing is.

Troy Sabean
    Building Stylist & Stucture Synthesizer
    RCL Website - www.roscoe.ns.ca
    Chief X4
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Troy:

I think my walls had become "corrupted" because resetting the material to the default siding as you suggest did not work. I spent a lot of time trying in vain to get the siding to behave as expected. In fact, the sidings specified for the "0" floor and the 1st floor got transposed in the 3D view - concrete on floor 1 and siding on floor 0 even though specified correctly in material tab. I think delete and rebuild was the only way. Thanks for your suggestion.

Gayle

Gayle
    I think if you broke the room definition it would have worked.
    Do you have an archive you could try?

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Gayle,

If you want to change your siding after the fact, do it through the wall definition dbx. Hit F12 and they all should change.

Changing trim color is not as easy... That's where the spray can shines. But it should be quicker. Maybe substitute a new color for the existing trim color?

At least the snow is light and fluffy--easy to move. We got 9". I can't believe we've got another one coming this weekend. It'll be a long time before we see the grass again...
    Maureen
    X6.current

How about opening a template plan from the Chief folder, exporting wall types, import wall types into your new plan and click yes to "Replace wall types with same name", and all your wall types will revert back to default settings, except your custom made walls. I have used this same method to get back the default layer set settings, when they have been changed drastically.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Thanks to all for your good ideas. Will try them all. Maureen, that light fluffy stuff is now encased in ice. Just chopped out my car - thankful for my home office.

Allen,

Good morning.

Thanks for your posting a couple of years ago, it still proves useful. I have been fighting with a pony wall for a couple of hours. I wish that I found this solution to fix a problem pony wall earlier. Using a blank plan and copying the wall into my current drawing worked like a charm.

Chris