Thread: X1 layersets ??

X1 layersets ??

I'm trying to see the advantage to this revised sytem and I can't seem to find it. So far it just seems like more work. I really liked the 2d/3d checkbox in 10.0 . What am I missing??
    Paul
    X6

More work????? No way dude! It take some getting used to. Alot seems to take more work. Waiting patiently for next patch.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I really liked the 2d/3d checkbox in 10.0

The checkbox is still there, but now it is related to the layerset being used. If the layerset relates to 2D then the checkbox is 2D, etc.

What other issues are you having with layersets ?

Describe your work methods so we can help with any issues

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I'm not sure what you mean by the 2d/3d checkbox is still there...

There is only the general "display" checkbox in my x1. And any layer can have both 2d and 3d. I'm guessing what you're trying to say is that the user can make their own layers and decide to put only 2d or 3d on them?

I must admit there are times that I miss the 2d/3d checkbox. It's usually in regard to symbols that I want to show in 3d, but I want to show a different 2d cad block without "officially" changing the cad block. Or weird shapes I make with slabs that I only want to show in 3d. Of course there are ways around this, and I have a zillion custom layers in every plan, but the 2d/3d thing did have it's usefulness.

Christina
    Christina Girerd Loud, Architect
    Girerd Designs
    Mountain View, CA
    www.GirerdDesigns.com

X5

Christina:

Think in terms of the layerset, is the layerset aimed at 2D layers or 3D layers. The default layerset is a 2D layerset. The camera layerset is a 3D layerset. Both have all the layers. The checkbox determines which layers are on for that layerset.

For 2D default layerset, you want to see electrical layer then set the checkbox and you see the electrical lines and 2D symbols.

For 3D camera layerset, you want to see electrical layer then set the checkbox and you see electrical outlets and lights.

A layerset only relates to 2D or 3D not both.

A layer can relate to both 2D and 3D.

Layersets control your final work product, when you look at the screen what do you want to see ? Electrical ? In 2D or 3D, if 3D then pick the appropriate layerset, camera or section or ...

Yes, the 3D framing layerset could have the electrical layer on but the primary purpose of the framing layerset is 3D framing and thus you would see the 3D electrical and not the 2D electrical.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I guess I'll have to experiment a bit more. I've only finished two drawings in X1 so I should give it a little more time, I suppose I'm looking for a WOW factor like much of the other improvements (3D editing) but it's not as apparent yet.
    X1 is pretty much set up the way I want, I started fresh without importing much from 10.0 and so far I'm very pleased with the changes.
    Paul
    X6

"Waiting patiently for next patch."

Maybe being early to X1 had its advantages - improved layer displays and many many other changes included in X1 are all working very well at present and not just beginning to learn them now feels good. - - .4 update could be exciting if it lives up to pre release statements.
    Mike Devins
    Tallahassee, Florida
    mdevins@earthlink.net
    Builder / Designer X5