Angry Foundation generated 3" larger

Has anyone had their generated foundation plan expand 3"? well I did. Just found this out after laying out the house. Forms are orderd and now the house is 3" larger in the front areas.

Yes I have seen the foundation move in X-1. It does happen right away, as you are drawing. It has to do with how you set up the main layer in your wall.

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one, just need to go back and tripple check all measurements...

Cutty, unfortunately, Chief's default foundation walls are not the best choice to use for most cases. I have found that the best way to handle this is to create your own wall types. Here in Indiana, we mostly use two wall types, 8" poured concrete, or 10" poured concrete.

You will need to create a few different wall types in Chief for each, depending on what your wall type above is.

8" concrete Stem Wall For Brick, will be 2 layers, 4" each, with the inner layer being designated as the "Main Layer". That way, when you generate your foundation or check "Align with above", the outside edge of the 2X4 sill plate will exactly line up with the 4" portion of concrete that is left after cutting out the 4" brick ledge. I do it this way, so the 1/2" exterior sheathing will slightly overlap the foundation wall. If you want the outside edge of the sheathing to line up, make 3 layers, 3 1/2" main, 1/2", then 4" brick ledge.

If you are using a 10" wall, check with your foundation contractor to see exactly what size his brick ledge is, and create accordingly.

If you are using a 4" or 6" siding wall above, you can probably use the standard wall that comes loaded on Chief, but I would change the fill type in the wall DBX to a 4" angled cross hatch instead of the solid gray fill that comes standard. The reason for this is the standard fill will print out solid black on the CD's, making it hard to see exactly where the dimension arrows are pointing to.

Also, don't forget that when you are creating auto dimensions, that you have to change the dimension default from specifying "Main Layer" to "Surface", when you switch from first floor to foundation.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Thanks again for the useful information, will take note.

See it in Video.

I created a quick 5 minute video on how to create this new wall type. Unfortunately it is about 4.6 MB, and is too large to post here. If anyone wants to see it, send me an email, and I will email it to you.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com