Thread: roof problems

roof problems

I'm going to be building an addition to the right of the existing structure. I'm having trouble building the existing roof structure without it changing the roof layout on the addition. Here is a pic of the home as it stands now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	19177  

Soooooo....what's the question?
    Jonathan

Hi Darren, and welcome to Chief Talk. (sorry if I mis-guessed your name, if you don't supply one, one will be chosen for you)

Are you using X1? Although I think I need more information, it sounds like you drew part of the roof and are trying to draw the rest by using the Auto roof feature? If that's the case, you may need to draw the second part manually. If you're having trouble there, can you show a picture of what you're getting? That will probably help to get you the answer you need.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

sorry i forgot to mention my name. It is Spencer but if you like Darren better I'll go by that
    The program I'm running is 10.08 full version

I did the auto roof tool for the addition. I had only the addition on the plans for a floor plan and roof layout to submit to the customer and to bid from. Now I have the job and its time to submit plans to the township. I'm trying to add the existing home to the addition. I can't seem to get the roof layout on house to do what i want. I want to leave the addition roof as is and just do the main. Do I need to just manually draw it?

thanks

Hi Spencer.

You might try this; open each of the roof planes on the addition, on the general tab check the box "Mark As Edited". Now when you auto build the roof, under the build tab, check "Retain edited roof planes". The only potential problem you might get here, is it might leave those roof planes and create new ones over them.

Two solutions here; 1. just delete the overbuild roof planes, or 2. before you auto build this time, open the room Dialog box for the addition, and specify "NO roof" under the structure tab. This will now only build the new auto roof over the existing.

I would first do a "Save As" with this plan, so if it goes horribly wrong, you still have the original.

Another option would be to draw the addition and the existing in two separate plans, build their roofs, and then use the "Edit Area" tools to move one into the other...But I would try the first mentioned ideas before that one.

Let us know how it goes.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com