Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You guys aren't going to believe this...

If you put a "#" in the text for your point marker and put a value in the Height box, it displays that value (see attached image).

Yeah. I know. I was completely baffled, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarkerHeight.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	19212  
    Sarah Mitchell

Wendy, thanks for trying to enlighten me. I think I understand xyz axis. It's been 40 years but I still remember geometry class (some great looking girls in that class). Are you saying that if I use transform/replicate from a section view and check move and absolute location that the Y Position is indcating up and down on a 2 dimensional screen and I use Z Delta to move it up and down because in reality I am moving up & down in 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by spark
    You guys aren't going to believe this...

If you put a "#" in the text for your point marker and put a value in the Height box, it displays that value (see attached image).

Yeah. I know. I was completely baffled, too.

Sarah that is interesting but seems like a useless feature, you might as well just type the dimension into the text line. Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible
    JP Ware Design, LEED AP
    York, Maine
    jpwlist2 at maine dot rr dot com
    Chief X3.xxx

"You reap what you sow"
    my Nan

Make a Decision: Tigger or Eeyore.
    Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by John D Atkinson
    ...Are you saying that if I use transform/replicate from a section view and check move and absolute location that the Y Position is indcating up and down on a 2 dimensional screen...
    Um - You lost me a little, not sure from these words whether you've got it or not.

In Chief 10 - Y was up and down in elevation - and was forward and backward in plan.

In Chief X1 - Z is up and down everywhere, including in elevation - and Y is forward and backward everywhere.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JP Ware
    Sarah that is interesting but seems like a useless feature, you might as well just type the dimension into the text line. Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible
    You're not missing anything. That is useless to me. I was hoping that Sarah was implying that it would place it in the absolute position. Nope. Still back to the extra steps (compared to 10).
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    In Chief X1 - Z is up and down everywhere, including in elevation - and Y is forward and backward everywhere.
    If you select a Text Reference Point in Cross Section/Elevation View then go Transform/Replicate Object>Move>Absolute Location the point will be defined by values in the X and Y Position fields. Moving the point up and down with the Z Delta changes the value in the Y Poisition field.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair
    You're not missing anything. That is useless to me. I was hoping that Sarah was implying that it would place it in the absolute position. Nope. Still back to the extra steps (compared to 10).
    It doesn't place anything in an absolute position. The only thing that Height box does is store whatever value you type in. Zero effect on the location of the point. Optionally, you can have that value automagically appear in your text by placing a # in one or both of the text boxes.
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by John D Atkinson
    If you select a Text Reference Point in Cross Section/Elevation View then go Transform/Replicate Object>Move>Absolute Location the point will be defined by values in the X and Y Position fields. Moving the point up and down with the Z Delta changes the value in the Y Poisition field.
    John,

Either you're describing what happens in Chief 10, not X1 - or you've caught me in a boo boo. What I describe is what happens to cad lines, text & dimensions. I rarely use the text marker itself, and am not at a machine with Chief right now to try it.

If you're correct and text markers behave differently than everything else, then they didn't not fully carry through on the whole "noun-verb consistency" thing that they described to us at the NE meeting as the basis for many of these changes.

Maybe somebody with X1 running can test it:

In an elevation - place a cad line, a text item, and a marker. Move each one 24" in the Z direction. Do they behave the same or not?
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

John,

Either you're describing what happens in Chief 10, not X1 - or you've caught me in a boo boo. What I describe is what happens to cad lines, text & dimensions. I rarely use the text marker itself, and am not at a machine with Chief right now to try it.

If you're correct and text markers behave differently than everything else, then they didn't not fully carry through on the whole "noun-verb consistency" thing that they described to us at the NE meeting as the basis for many of these changes.

Maybe somebody with X1 running can test it:

In an elevation - place a cad line, a text item, and a marker. Move each one 24" in the Z direction. Do they behave the same or not?
    Sorry Wendy but I just don't understand. If I place a cad line in an elevation (somewhere where I know it shouldn't be), Select the cad line>transform/replicate in the absolute "Y" position (let's say 0"), it doesn't go there. It never has in X1. Alot of people keep saying that Chief uses the "Y" position now for the absolute which is true but neglect to say that there is more steps you have to take to get it to tranform/replicate in the absolute position correctly. In 10, when you transform/replicate, you just placed the value in the "Y" position and bam, you're done. You simply just can't place that value in the "Z" position in X1 and be done. You have to do it as I mentioned it earlier. Just did a sample again and it doesn't transform/replicate correctly by just simply placing the value in the "Z" position.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

There is no Z field for lines in Elevation. Opening the Line Spec. and you will see the Y is actually the Z, or at least that's the way it appears to me. This then goes to Transform/Replicate, where it has a Z field, but since the Line doesn't, it places that value in the Y field, instead of the Z........Confusing isn't it....Then do what Tommy says.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	19291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trans.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	19292
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Cliff,

Yes - there is no Z field in the dbx for a line in elevation. However - moving things in the Z direction works in X1 using Transform/Replicate.

Tommy,

Correct - moving in Y direction in section or elevation in X1 often appears to do nothing. Depending on which way you cut your section, it might be moving it straight away from you.

In Transform/Replicate - Where you used to enter a number in the Y delta field to move towards the top of a section or elevation in Chief 10 - In Chief X1 you enter the same number in the Z delta field. Z is up, towards the sky - in plan, in section, everywhere. They've made it so that up is up, period - even if you've tilted your drawing plane.

From everybody's posts, I suspect that people are reading this and trying to picture it in their minds. Try it in a drawing. Put a line across a section or elevation. Select it. Select the T/R tool. Check either "move" or "copy" and put a value in the [COLOR="Red"]Z [/COLOR]delta field.

btw - I remember what the deal is with the marker thing. Dan posted about it. If you place a text maker in plan, it will report the elevation in place of "#". Try it on a floor, then a landing. It's pretty cool. That other field where you can type that in strikes me as odd, but this first is handy. I suspect that feature was designed purely for plan. It would be very slick if it also worked in section or elevation. (um - and is actually kinda lame that's it's sitting there confusing us)
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Cliff,

Yes - there is no Z field in the dbx for a line in elevation. However - moving things in the Z direction works in X1 using Transform/Replicate.

Tommy,

Correct - moving in Y direction in section or elevation in X1 often appears to do nothing. Depending on which way you cut your section, it might be moving it straight away from you.

In Transform/Replicate - Where you used to enter a number in the Y delta field to move towards the top of a section or elevation in Chief 10 - In Chief X1 you enter the same number in the Z delta field. Z is up, towards the sky - in plan, in section, everywhere. They've made it so that up is up, period - even if you've tilted your drawing plane.

From everybody's posts, I suspect that people are reading this and trying to picture it in their minds. Try it in a drawing. Put a line across a section or elevation. Select it. Select the T/R tool. Check either "move" or "copy" and put a value in the [COLOR="Red"]Z [/COLOR]delta field.

btw - I remember what the deal is with the marker thing. Dan posted about it. If you place a text maker in plan, it will report the elevation in place of "#". Try it on a floor, then a landing. It's pretty cool. That other field where you can type that in strikes me as odd, but this first is handy. I suspect that feature was designed purely for plan. It would be very slick if it also worked in section or elevation. (um - and is actually kinda lame that's it's sitting there confusing us)
    Wendy, I give up. Have you tried doing it????????
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Cliff,

Thank you Wendy. I was aware of this. It is confusing, to say the least. In Cad Details, Wall Details, etc, it works the same as in V10. X1 works too, except in Elevations, there is no value in the Z field (Transform/Replicate), to start off with. It is set to 0, no matter where the object is placed in Elevation View. Instead, that value is placed in the Y field. But, as you said, it does work. And, as Tommy says, there is an extra step, or extra math. This is when "Absolute Location" is checked for "Move".

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....rm%2FReplicate
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Thank you Cliff! You are the one that told me how to do this in the 1st place. I have only been talking about elevations, or maybe I should clarify. Exterior Elevations. The link you posted is absolutely correct. You make me feel better now and not so frustrated.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

You're welcome Tommy. You'll sleep better tonight.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e