Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Wink auto elevation lines

To show and dimension elevation height lines I use a new layer and call it elevation heights, in plan view I add a polyline solid and set it to the height of the floor with 0 thickness same with the ceiling, you generate the elevation make sure the camera cuts the elevation height polyline solid and you have the elevation all ready for dimensions to be added, the cross section layer you can set to a thin line, and any dimension added will snap to the each elevation line (which is actually a generated cross section line)..

Regards..
    Regards
    Martin

Chief X5
    www.emcdesign.com.au

I like to keep things simple. Chief just needs to address this issue by giving some simple tools similar to what Lew's been asking for. Chief automates schitt I don't want automatated and logical things that should be automated are left with manual time consumers or complex work-a-rounds.

A lot of the work-a-rounds are quite ingenious and show a lot of computer savy and intelligence but just validate Chief's current programming bent of "making many things too dang complex or complicated".

For an elevation line marker, I just draw a cad line below a 1st or 2nd floor window and locate it's "z" height (use "y" hgt for all versions previous to X1) by pulling a dimension from the window's head hgt and setting the floor elevation line to what my window's head hgt is as set in it's dbx.
    I then replicate/copy each floor elevation line up to the 2nd flr top plate and down to the footing and basement slab etc.
    Finally I add the markers. It's probably longer and slower and much less clever than the other methods but it feels more direct like a drawing should feel. I only have to do it once then copy/paste hold position it to other elevations and sections. The current incarnation ot the "paste hold position" function is a prime example of Chief programming at it's best, simple, elegant and intuitive. Dermot & the Parks should re-examine/analize all aspects of X2 functions and tools and apply the the same logic used to improve the "paste hold position" tool.

Without the XYZ live position indicators which should have been in the program since X1, the X & Y directions are dependent upon which direction a section view is pulled and your trying to remember which way is X and which way is y. It's bulllschitt and I can't believe Chief didn't throw out an immediate solution on that omission and ideosyncracy! This hybrid 2d/3d identity crisis is what's causing all the slow redraws and probably is a programming nighmare for Chief.-Brad
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 09-07-2009 at 05:21 AM.
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Boltz
    Without the XYZ live position indicators which should have been in the program since X1, the X & Y directions are dependent upon which direction a section view is pulled and your trying to remember which way is X and which way is y. It's bulllschitt and I can't believe Chief didn't throw out an immediate solution on that omission and ideosyncracy! This hybrid 2d/3d identity crisis is what's causing all the slow redraws and probably is a programming nighmare for Chief.-Brad
    The simple solution to this one is to place a symbol that represents the XYZ axis. I use one all the time when working in 3D and I need to know these directions.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Yes Glenn you are right in creating your own 3d symbol as a smart workaround to let you know where you are in space and I've been part of that discussion before. Why should I have to create a symbol & then insert it when they are the ones that created the issue? But thanks for the reminder, I'll have to grab or create a symbol when I get around to it.

Chief should have seen the need and included an on-screen "compass" or symbol that automatically appears in all live views, including plan view before implementing the changes.
    The phone support guy wasn't even aware that "y" was now "Z" when in elevation view mode when I pointed it out after loading X1 a year ago or so. Many moons later, they still have not thrown us one in a patch. Instead, we get more free furniture options. -BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Take a section view and send the entire view to cad detail. select all the lines and adjust their line style to blank and their layer to a new user layer such as 'elevation snaps' copy all lines and paste hold position over top of the elevation. lock the layer so you dont mess it op by accident.
    Last edited by sherpa_jones; 09-08-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

I always used the marker in V10 and set at absolute Y=0. I've tried the steps by Tommy and I still can't get it to move to 0. By the way, why was it Y=0 in V10 and Z=0 in V12?
    Phillip Rye
    Rye Home Energy Consulting and Design
    www.dougrye.com
    www.philliprye.com
    Ver. 12

The "Sherpa Jones Method" states, if you draw a horizontal line in section, open dbx, lock LENGTH/ANGLE, and type in a value in the "Y" box, the line will now move in the "Z" axis to that elevation relative to 0.0. Why don't we type in the desired value in the "Z" box in lieu of a "Y" box, the reason is because.... "The Sherpa Jones Method" says to put the number in the "Y" box (besides, there is no "Z" box to put the value in).
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton View Post

Even back in college, I'd see half the class holding their left hand up with forfinger pointed up, thumb toward them and index finger to the right, trying to make a concept that's not immediately untuitive sink into the brains - up to and including during the exam.
    Is a forefinger the same as a "bird" finger? This is confusing ashell. Either that or I'm getting more stupid the older I get. Probably door number 2.
    Michael Crump
    Creative Concepts
    7531 Hawkstand Lane
    Charlotte, NC 28210
    803-417-2790

mcrump@spectrum-inc.com
    michaelacrump@att.net

Using - Chief X6 Beta
    Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it.
    Bluegrass - Fastest Music Alive

Here is an X2 plan, that helps get your head around the XYZ deltas.

It has a 2D cad symbol in each of the 4 elevations, that tell you which way is which, and it also has a 3D symbol that tells you all 3.

I use the 2D symbols saved in my saved elevation cameras in my template plan, off to one side, just so I have a quick reference. The reason this is important is I use the "Transform/replicate" tool A LOT, and this tells me quickly which way to move something. The 3D symbol I just made, because I have too much time on my hands
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xyz2d.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	40123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xyz3d.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	40124  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Allen Brown; 05-05-2010 at 05:35 AM.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Quote Originally Posted by pdre629 View Post
    I always used the marker in V10 and set at absolute Y=0. I've tried the steps by Tommy and I still can't get it to move to 0. By the way, why was it Y=0 in V10 and Z=0 in V12?
    Hi Phillip, I spoke with you on the phone this morning and you got it to work. I'm sending you a pdf on this other job I spoke about in a little while.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)