Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Max,

I agree with Lew, if you do purchase Softplan, you should come back after you've learned about the program a bit, and compare it's features to Chief's...

I'm not putting chief down, but it would be nice to get some insight about how some of the other programs out there are dealing with these things, it might make for interesting discussion/progress on ChiefTalk. Especially materials lists...I've heard Softplan has an add-on to it's base program called Soft-list, i've been curious myself as to how well it works. I could order the demo...but i havent yet, still might...
    Matthew
    Chief Architect X3
    Sketchup 8 Pro User

Intel i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHZ
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    16 GB RAM
    GE Force GT 240

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42acj
    I would draw/build it like this..
    In real life are you going to have it come to a point?
    Seems harder to get water tight the other way..

Railing material might work too..
    Allen,
    Absolutely Agree!
    Don

CA Premium X6 (16.1.1.9x64) SSA
    Intel i7-4770 (8M Cache) @ 3.4GHz; Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit; 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670;
    Dual HD Monitors (24" and 22");
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    Max:

Please report back in a few months and let us know how you like Softplan.

I will say that Chief ver 10 is far better than ver 9.5 and I think X1 is going to be even better. I'm doing a project in ver 9.5 now and it is like working with an antique.

Lew
    Lew,
    This is not the first time that Max has left Chief for another software.
    Don

CA Premium X6 (16.1.1.9x64) SSA
    Intel i7-4770 (8M Cache) @ 3.4GHz; Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit; 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670;
    Dual HD Monitors (24" and 22");
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD.

Dan Park: The ability to have roofs and stairs cut railings has been in our database for a long time. This is relatively high on my wish list for X2.

Do you know what took precedence over the fix? Is it a fix?
    Can you shed light on why the software designers would have the railing 'special case' like this?

A regular wall not considered railing will get cut, what did they change when they attach the "railing" features to that wall?

Is there something railings do that I haven't figured out yet and thus 'they' or 'them peoples' are fighting to fix this "bug" or "shortcoming" because another useful function would be destroyed or compromised or perhaps not implemented?

Would a railing not render as well if they 'fixed' this?

That's all you gotta tell me ... if it's a rendering issue and might by chance make my renders less Realistic because 'we' 'fix' the railing functions then .. well .. just go ahead and take this off the list and disregard my thread. I wouldn't want to have anything to do with a less than accurate render for God's sake! :mad:

Alright

When do we get to buy X2?
    Alan Michaud
    "Al"
    Central Maine

Don,

Me thinks your memory is correct. The dramatic exit loses it's drama after the first few, eh?

Alan,

I suspect part of the issue is that railings have balusters, which will take more programming to progessively shorten than a regular wall. I don't think there's a competing downside, just a big list and other issues keep getting the time. That's why I will always point people towards sending a specific request in to tech support - not just relying on making noise here on the forum. I hate having to stop and fart around with layers or make a wall break, when I'm just in schematic design and my client thinks railings sticking through the roof look ridiculous. But, they have plenty of support tickets from me. I lose my thunder when I report the same thing multiple times. So - if something matters to you, do a support ticket - I need to share the spotlight!

Allen,

You are correct about constructibility. It started as a workaround - the bit of solid wall in the triangle - but I now almost always design for this, and the builders are much happier not trying to stuff in that last 6" high baluster. Of course, I still think that the software shouldn't run the design - that if we really want that 6" high stick, we should have it.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Wendy
    I look at plans/drawings as a carpenter..
    The ceiling is even worst to do than that 6" baluster..

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Allen.
    Wendy.
    Alan Michaud
    "Al"
    Central Maine

Question

Max,
    Soooooo,can you do that railing in 9.5 ? Just wondering how this is such a decision maker.
    Kenneth L. Thompson
    Home Design/Building Management
    Staunton,Va.
    3-d Home,Chief since 1994
    X4 Prem.14.2.0.7 64 bit.

Max, - It's hard to believe that you are still in 9.5. Once v.10 was out, I could not bear to go back to 9.5. X1 is even better. I can understand your frustration if you're using 9.5.
    ggodwin

I am getting the Softplan demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    After trying out the issue of the roof not cutting off a railing wall and no quick method to adjust the wall short of the myriad of workarounds or manually building the section of the wall under the roof which ends up with newell posts in the wrong location I have to say, at least for me, X1 is not an option. So many issues have come up that are non-issues for me now while using 9.5

Chief Architect is simply not the program it started out being and, obviously, will never return. I have waited patiently to see how things would progress but this railing issue is "the straw that broke the camel's back" for me.

Alas, Softplan, here I come.

Thanks to those who posted here as you have helped me to finally come to a decision.

Max Humphreys

I am getting a Softplan demo. I really cant believe any architectural program wont cut a railing at the roof or ceiling line of a cathedral ceiling. Instead of buying the Chief XI, I will put the money into a different program. I am using Chief V10.8. This is on my long list of Chief complaints.

Hmmm... Interesting thread, guess I missed this one before. I would have to agree to some extent with Allen on detailing. Not just water-proofing but having that little pinched area of the deck where it meets the roof plane above. Seems like a real PITA to detail, finish, paint, clean, etc.

But as another workaround for anyone with SU pro, I would just export the roof planes and railing via .3ds to SU, then you can use the "Intersect With Model" feature and then export back to Chief as a custom symbol.

Seems to me the wall break approach puts newels where you might not necessarily want them?

Would be nice to have the option for the roof to cut the railing though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof Cuts Railing.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	20040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof Cuts Railing2.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	20041  

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Ed:

From what I have seen posted from prior Softplan users, you gonna love Softplan

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Ed,

You will be disappointed. I just posted the question on the Softplan forum and it won't cut railings at the roof either.

I wish you all the best.

Bought softplan v12 when I had some dissatisfaction with Chief I got the demo disk but it would not let you try the program just showed you what it would do. Sale man called and said he would do a demo on my computer from his real good sales pitch so I spent thousands on the program with much disappointment won't buy another program from anyone that does not have a demo that will let you use the program with limitations of printing and things I do understand they have to protect themselves but what do they have to hide that they won't let you try it. I am not saying that either program is better but I guess it is what you are use to and learned just like a tool in the carpenters tool box what ever brand works best for them that is y there are so many tool brands and different programs.
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

I agree with Lew, Allen and the rest. Softplan isn't all cracked up that the demo says it can do from what I heard, got the demo here, wasn't too impressed with it. I have a friend that bought it and said it was no where near what Chief could do. It's sitting on his computer shelf, waiting to be used again.. I have said it time and time again, chief has its faults, but nothing I have seen or used does what chief does..
    Dragon

Jim

jhatton64@gmail.com

Chief Architect X2