Thread: Electical Plans

Electrical Plans

What is the best way to show an electrical plan? I am a former ACAD user and I am trying to setup a "CAD Detail" of an electrical plan. In ACAD, I copied the FP and then changed layers to make everything not electrical light gray and then colored the layers with the electrical plan details. Then I put a symbol chart to the side. I am a school teacher and want to teach these kids to do it right. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by abarret1; 11-06-2007 at 08:26 AM.

I (set current layer to elec.) keep all the electrical, elec. txt etc on the elec. layer ( then turn off dimensions, door/ window labels and any other layers I do not want on. I don not gray our any layers so walls cabinets etc can be seen. Don
    Donald Shuman
    CPBD- Certified Professional Building Designer
    AIBD- American Institute Building Designer
    TIBD- Texas Institute of Building Designer
    Designing homes since1980 in Houston,Texas area
    shumandl@yahoo.com
    Chief Architect;V2--- X1,X2,X3,X4-SSA
    Windows 7 32
    Christian; not perfect; just forgiven by the love & blood & Grace of Jesus Christ.

the easiest thing to do is go to display options and set current layer set to electrical. this does away with most color but leaves electrical in red so it shows up easy
    Les Unruh
    Columbus, MS
    lesudesign@gmail.com
    9.5-X4

OK- I am using v10 with the students ( I have vX1- but only a stand alone). I go to TOOLS>DISPLAY OPTIONS> Check "Current CAD Layer" and change to "Electrical". Looks the same to me??? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by abarret1
    What is the best way to show an electrical plan? I am a former ACAD user and I am trying to setup a "CAD Detail" of an electrical plan. In ACAD, I copied the FP and then changed layers to make everything not electrical light gray and then colored the layers with the electrical plan details. Then I put a symbol chart to the side. I am a school teacher and want to teach these kids to do it right. Thanks for any help.
    I think you may have a misconception about how this is normally done. You don't typically COPY a plan and create a CAD detail. You use the SAME 3D floor plan but with different layers and colors showing. (This usually is created using a Layer Set.) Then the floor plan (with the electrical layer set) is sent to Layout. Many people have a separate drawing that has a legend that is also sent to layout, and these two views are put on the same layout page. Check the Help Menu under "Electrical" - General.
    Last edited by RMorrison; 11-06-2007 at 09:48 AM.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

chief has a folder with sample plans, check some of those that have layouts and see how the electrical plans are created and sent to the layout.

CA's website also has sample working drawings that you can study.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Thanks so much- the "Layer Set" was what I was missing. Looks great now.

OK- I got it to work in 10, but what about X1? Is there an additional step or something? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by abarret1
    OK- I got it to work in 10, but what about X1? Is there an additional step or something? Thanks.
    The layer sets in X1 are set up differently, Watch the "what's new in Version X1" video's #227-229
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS