Thread: Half Walls

Half Walls

Hello,
    I am a long time AutoCAD and 3DMax user and have just started working with Cheif X1 recently. I have read other threads on this topic, but they don't give me the answers I am looking for.

I am trying to make an open kitchen with a raised countertop for bar stools. I need to use a half wall to accomplish this, but neither of the methods I have tried or read about in other half-wall threads give me the result I am looking for. If I drag a wall or change height in an elevation, the ceiling comes down with it. When I make a railing and change it to solid, it has a handrail that looks out of place for a half wall. Also, where the full height wall connects, there is an exposed beam. Additionally, how do I make the countertop on top of the half wall? Thanks for your help.

You may need to BREAK a section of the wall. In other words, if the kitchen is closed (4 walls) and you want to one of the walls half, or one part of the wall, use the BREAK WALL TOOL to disconnect that section from the rest, thn drag down in elevation view. Is that the case in your instance?

If it is an "island" situation...it should not effect the roof?!?

I haven't jumped to X1 yet, but things should work the same....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	half wall.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	17997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CV-Kit.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	17998  
    Joey R. Martin,aibd,cgp,cga,caps
    Martin Design & Planning
    Elwood, Indiana
    Cell. 765-860-3567
    eMail. joeymdp@gmail.com

The problem you are having might be that you need to click the TAB key after you select the wall in elevation mode. This will then select only that wall that you need to pull down. This is the way X-1 works.
    Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

I'm in 10.08, buy I think X-1 has the custom countertop child tool from the cabinets tool set - just draw a box using the tool, and then use the dbx to spec height - you can break lines shape it using the cad tools.

Alternatively, you can draw a polyline and convert it to a countertop.
    John VanderMyde
    X1 & X2 Vista 64 HP HDX
    www.vandermyde.com
    Building Design on the Outer Banks of N.C.
    N.C.G.C.# 48835 Unlimited

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.” -Abraham Lincoln

If you don't think you'll hardly ever need to be able to adjust the whole room in 3D, go to you Edit menu and click on Preferences, then Architectural and uncheck the box for "Select Room before Wall in 3D." That's one gotcha that I fell into as well.
    Chief Architect Premier X5

Thanks a lot. I think this will help.

Usually what I do since I have had the same issues with walls removing ceiling sections is use the cabinets you like for the main part of the island. then use a soffit for the desired wall and adjust the height and place a custom counter on top! It looks really good without the mess of the regular walls!
    Chad Cardin
    MEMBER SINCE V9... NOW X5