Adirondack siding

Does anyone know a way to get Adirondack siding to show on an elevation? For those that don't know, Adirondack siding is a 1" thick slab taken from a raw log so that the edges of each slab have bark on them.

Kalispell, MT...near Glacier National Park
    Pat, do you just want to see it (flat view) or do you want it completely rendered in 3D and looking really cool?

Either way, you may have some technical work cut out for you, unless a pro comments on this. Here's the problem as I see it.
    1) If you want the shape and image, you will need to create a 3D Polyline and fit each log in place all the way around the building (around windows and doors). Basically, you'll be siding the house manually. Big pain in the butt! But you could do it and stagger the image like the real thing. Budget a couple days for this kind of work.
    2) Even if you get an image and apply it, the variety you see in that kind of siding will be lost in the very uniform method of applying the image that CA will use. The logs will be stacked and obvious to be repeated if you just apply a texture to the siding.
    3) If you try to take an image of an existing house, the pasting together from one side of the image to the other won't work unless you spend a huge amount of time and a spherical graphic editing tool to blend one end to the other. Even then it will stack a little funny probably.

Personally, I wouldn't try unless you're recovering from leg surgery and can't go anywhere anyway.

I sure hope someone else can chime in with a really simple solution. I'd love to hear something elegant and learn.

Adirondack siding

I was afraid of the answer you gave cause those were the only possibilities that I had come up with. Anyone else ever need this look?

Can't help you but I do hope you figure a way. I love the Adironack look, there is some stunning design work being done around the Whiteface golf course and around town ( i hang out there for a weekend or so every year ). I hate to give a town council too much credit, but their planning and design comittee seems to do a great job in pushing the "look". Good luck keep us posted.

Check this out, that's actual birch bark siding, and a natural twisted log stair stringer. ( home beside Tee box #3)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2004 012.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	17881  
    Last edited by Gunzzz; 10-11-2007 at 03:34 AM.
    Paul
    10.08a

Kalispell, MT...near Glacier National Park
    I hope there aren't any children around. Birch bark is fun to peel! Then it won't look so pretty. Amazing look for that house. Those stairs remind me of something from Disney Land. COOL!!!

Wow, what a fantastic structure.

I sure hope that 'Dunce Hat' roof structure has plenty of Simpson Hurricane Ties - one goot wind storm and it's going to get airborne...

Milo
    Ashland Design Solutions