Input, thoughts on a "courtyard" design...

I'm considering designing a "courtyard" themed home. I've seen several designs, and must admit I am impressed with the whole outdoor entertaining aspect of them. My concern is rain water drainage. The design I have in mind would basically enclose the courtyard around walls, leaving no where for rain water to drain. I'd like to know how others have tackled this challenge/situation when designing/building courtyard themed houses.

thanks always,
    Roz

You'll need some surface/collector drains that can be piped out underneath the house, or into a sump/pump system to get rid of the water. Any roof downspouts will also need to be handled this way. A courtyard can have just three sides and/or partially open to the exterior on one end somewhere and you might be able to swale all the drainage out that way as well. Just my two cents.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter

Roz, Here's a link to a well respected book on designing Courtyards by John S. Reynolds.

I recently bought the book and it has information about collecting rainwater and mentions some ideas like using it for watering plants and/or flushing toilets.

It doesn't seem to say anything about ensuring proper drainage as such - but there's a couple of photo's of nice courtyard drains to underground cisterns that are used to water plants.

Might be worth a look...

http://www.amazon.com/Courtyards-Aes...1521738&sr=8-1
    9.54 Full - XP Pro
    Skill Level: Beginner
    Project: Design & Build a stone cottage near Negril, Jamaica

John & Bryce thanks for the tips/info. John, I'll pickup a copy.

Roz