Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsinc
    I have not learned how to quote efficiently yet, so I'll respond old-school style:
    There's a little icon that says "quote" on every post. If you click that it should quote the text from the post. I haven't run into any problems, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsinc
    1. OK - so you don't have that problem when you dimension a cut section? Before I send it in to tech, can CA reproduce the behavior?
    I can't reproduce the problem your describing. On a side note, Technical Support is CA. I can see the Technical Support team from my cubicle. It's faster to report things directly to Tech than it is to report it on the forums.
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by thorn
    I would really like to be able to adjust temp text size.
    It changes all the dimension number sizes (only on the screen, not when you print), but setting Min. Number Height in Dimension Defaults to something like 20 will restrict all dimension numbers from being displayed any smaller than 20 pixels tall. Temps included. It gets a little ugly when there's a lot of them in a small area, but that should help.

On a separate note, setting Min. Number Height to 0 will display your manual/auto dimensions at the size they will be when printed (6", 10", whatever you've chosen the setting to be.)
    Sarah Mitchell

Just thinking on the fly here - this could be dangerous.

Wouldn't temp dims be a lot more usable if we could edit them like we can a manual (or auto) dim. ie, once the temp dim appears, we could have the ability to add extension points, drag extension lines to another object, drag the whole temp dim line, etc.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Great discussion here. I'm starting to see some trends that weren't well articulated in the past. It really helps to understand how you are using the program. Keep the suggestions coming.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

"I use temp dimensions mostly for locating windows and doors in relation to inside walls.
    So.. Yes I would like temporary dimensions to display even when permanent are displayed.
    I would really like to be able to adjust temp text size."

Me too - everything Thorn said.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Locked vs. Off

I would prefer that temp dims not exclude items on Locked Layers. Locked is for when you don't want to act on it, not necessarily not reference it.

I would definately want temp dims to ignore anything not visible.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

RE: Ht

I work both zoomed in and not. I would prefer a toggle that let's the numbers do what they do now (for working zoomed in) or toggle to forcing a bigger height, even if it makes it a bit jumbled, for zoomed out.

I also feel very strongly that any and all working mode changes should be very quickly and easily accessible - as little multiple clicking as possible please.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    I use temp dims mainly for editing roof planes and locating fixtures. In both these cases I want reference to the nearest wall. As everyone uses temp dims in dirrerent ways I think a separate default setting would be best. The options could be: Nearest wall, nearest object, nearest cad line, nearest door/window, nearest cabinet. I also think they should display regardless of existing auto or manual dims.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Locked vs. Off

I would prefer that temp dims not exclude items on Locked Layers. Locked is for when you don't want to act on it, not necessarily not reference it.
    True - but I would say that having the ability to relocate the temp handle where you like would make this a non issue.

Actually I thought about this today (yep, free time again). Few programs (autocad included) even have temp dimensions, so I guess I have only really started to be picky about them as I use CA for all my work now start to finish. What I notice (and Wendy has alluded to this before) is that small things in each project - commands that make three steps out of one or things like temp dimensions where we might have to draw the dimension because it can't locate the temp where we want - are the biggest productivity obstacles I face. It is great that CA has asked us how we use the command so they can help us by improving the program. Brings back fond memories of my fifteen years purchasing autocad updates (autocad sarcasm unbridled here).
    Rich C. SDSInc
    Bayport, NY

X5
    Windows 7 64
    Alienware 17" Laptop - full time use - 14GB
    i7 3720QM
    Nvidia GTX 675M - 2GB