videos vs webinars

Having started Chief Architect X1 less than a month ago with what everyone is calling a complicated design project, (presented in the thread, "clear story") and maybe they are right, I now feel the need for additional tools to shorten the learning curve. Two immediate avenues are open: Chief Architect's video training series, and Dan Baumann's video and webinar training. This thread may have been discussed concerning earlier CA versions, but now that X1 is out, has anyone who has seen both done an evaluation of one versus the other? I have joined the free category of ChiefExperts.com, which I find extremely good, but I have not yet purchased or viewed CA's videos. Since we are talking about a reasonable expense here, any thoughts would be welcomed.

Doug
    Douglas S Green
    Architect
    X4, X3, X2, X1, Soft Plan 13
    Wintergreen,VA

If you need immediate X1 training then get the vids.

Dan is conducting X1 training and webinars and while they are very good they won't be in recorded format and available fast enough for someone who needs to get up to speed quickly.

They are both nice resources and both should be considered.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Hi Doug,

I would imagine that Dan is not duplicating the work of CA. CA shows you how to use the tools and I imagine Dan shows you how to be productive with these tools.

Sam

I have used both the videos and Dan's webinars extensively. They are both great resources. Frankly, the value of the time you will invest in learning Chief makes the cost of the training materials negligible. If you are trying to make a living with this software I think you will need both. If I had to pick just one, I would choose Dan's premier membership without question. It's the best $50.00 a month I spend!

Thanks, Lew, Sam and John, I had an idea that both resources would be the answer. Lew, it's my understanding that the CA video series 2 will not be available 'till the middle of October, and that CA will now supply the video series 2 for Ver 10. I'm assuming they would be somewhat beneficial for X1 as well. John, I've been an architect for a long time and am no longer trying to make a living, but I have a lot of friends who want my help, so Chief Architect is the new method I have chosen to do that work. To me, it's never to late to learn new things, and CA is a real challenge.

Doug
    Douglas S Green
    Architect
    Wintergreen,VA

I was in the same boat as you about 2 months ago. I had purchased the training series when I bought v10 but I was in need of a lot of help fast to get my project out. I bought a block of 5 hours from the CA training department.

The videos are great for the basic tools and I am still using them when I run into something that is a new area for me. The one on one training time was critical. I was working really long hours during the week I used the training time and I was generating a lot of questions. When the training session would start I would chip away at my list until I felt like I had enough to keep me busy until the next session.

The "goto meeting" system worked great. If you do this route, try to have a second computer that is used for the "meeting" in order to have CA open on another computer so you can follow along and work out the issues. Or at least be able to click around while viewing the instructions. I find that if I do a little more than watch a demo I will remember the tools location better.

The third resource that has been indispensable is this forum. A great number of my questions get answered by typing out a post, waiting to send it while I search for the answer for fear of being chastised for not having done an exhaustive enough search(Sometimes my social ego actually has a purpose). That and the regular posters who have been very helpful and knowledgeable.

There are also several people who do individual training on an hourly basis that you can find through this forum.
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Thanks very much, Alan. Really appreciate your taking the time to respond, and you are absolutely right about this forum. This is the most amazing group of people that are so willing to help others that I have ever come across.

Doug
    Douglas S Green
    Architect
    Wintergreen,VA