Thread: Floor Framing

Floor Framing

I need to be able to automatically build floor joists and ceiliing joists on the same floor in houses with only partial 2 stories. I get the following:
    1. Ceiling joists instead of floor joists even though I specify the size of the joists in the Platform Framing Dialog Box.
    2. The Room Specifications Dialog Box defaults to the ceiling joist width and will not show floor joists. With the second floor set correctly the first floor ceiling jums up 6" (the diff between floor and ceiling joist size). The (g) - platform thickness is greyed out - I feel like I want to change (g) and can't. The framing in 3D blows me away - I just wish I could get it to work correctly.
    Any chance of someone telling me "First do ..., then do. etc)
    I have rear and re-read the manuals
    Thanks in advance Mike Hall - San Diego

Mr. Hall,

All I can add to Dean's post is to underline that the successful sequence of building a model in Chief V6 is one of following the steps in the order outlined in the manual. This alone will eliminate many problems encountered by other users less studied. And more generally a thorough understanding of Chief V6, it's features, menus, dialague boxes puts you at cause and frees you to create and produce at will and unencumbered.

David J. Potter
    PS ean is a smarty because he works at his art and accepts nothing less than excellence.

Thanks for your replies. I am double "stumped" now because I still don't get it even after your explanations. What pages are you reading? Thanks
    Mike Hall - San Diego

Mike:

It would also help to read up on the "room specification" dbx. The problem you are having may be simple.

If you don't want a ceiling in a room open the room specification dbx, click on the "structure" tab, and make sure the "ceilings over this room box is not checked.

If your design provides for a two story space, where a room is created (in chief) on the upper level, make sure you assign "open to below" to the upper room name. I hope that helps.

Larry

[This message has been edited by Larry Kumpost (edited 30 August 1999).]