Wall Covering and Paint Questions

Hey Everyone,
    Thanks for all the great posts so far! I am working my way through the house tutorial in CA X1 and I am finishing out the interior design tutorial. When I had finished I did a POVray and saw the following image. I also noticed the Zebra stripes on the top did not meet @ the corner. The reason I think the wall is a mirror is because I probably used a color instead of a "paint color" in chief, is this correct? Basically I need help with the following:

1. How do I get the wall coverings to go around the corner and connect
    2. How do I get the walls to not be mirror-like and like a paint?
    3. What do people think of the room design/Overall house?

Please feel free to be honest about what you think, Constructive criticism is always a helpful trail to tread in the learning process. Thank you !

-Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My First House bedroom.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	17074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My First House 3.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	17075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bedroom 2.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	17076  

Chris,

1 - How did you create the zebra stripe? Did you use the wall covering feature in the room dbx? Did you try grabbing each of the two walls in elevation and making sure that edge goes completely over? Also - you could try a room polyline instead, give it a thickness of 1/16" or so, small enought that a render won't put a shadow at the bottom.

2 - You can absolutely simply pick a color, don't need to use a "paint" color. Go to the material definition for that wall, Render tab, and reduce Reflectivity. For a POV-Ray this is controlled on the last tab - can't remember what it's called, but you'll see it right there.

3 - It's a very interesting design on the inside. I always like to see people doing things a little bit differently, like zebra stripes. Is it for yourself? Your roofs are very straightforward - the builder will appreciate that. Aesthetically I might look at hipping the lower roofs.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Chris, I have vX1 but am still using v10.08, are the house tutorial and interior design tutorial, that you mention, part of the X1 package or are they from one of the extra training/ tutorial disks.
    Thanks and Regards
    MCL
    Michael C. LaMacchia
    conchflyer@icloud.com
    Retina MacBook Pro (15", quad core I7)
    X5 via Bootcamp
    Autocad 2007 via Bootcamp
    817-846-3192

Hi Wendy,
    Thanks for the comments , I will try and see if the walls are fully attached (They look like it in plan but may not be in actuality) and thank you for the design tip. For hip, that means the gable is not there correct? For the reflectivity, if I turn that down will it effect glass stuff etc.. Is there a way to specify the gloss on the paint? I.e. egg shell and semi-gloss?
    Flgator, as far as I know the house tutorial is in the regular help, but then again, I only know X1 since that is what I am starting on. Thank you for your posts .

-Chris

"if I turn that down will it effect glass stuff etc.. "

Reflectivity is assigned per material. So, if you turn it down for your wall material, glass will not be affected.

"Is there a way to specify the gloss on the paint? I.e. egg shell and semi-gloss? " Not as such. You can, however, put the very very very slightest reflectivity on your paint. Instead of just using the color in the library, I would copy it, name your new material so that you'll recognize it "Atrium White - semi gloss" and add a wee bit of reflectivity to it. You'll have to experiment to get what you want.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Hey Wendy,
    Thank you for the advice! I will give that a try!

-Chris

Talking Still Need Help :)

Hey Everyone,
    I am still having issues with the wall coverings in this room. The moldings seem to draw fine, but the covering is missing a piece near an intersecting wall shown in the pictures below. It seems that it doesn't mind going into the square corners but it doesn't want to go around an inside corner like shown in the pix. I have also included the plan created in CA X1 following the house tutorial provided. This is really annoying and I spent a while trying to figure it out. I have tried the following with no success:

1. Re-build walls
    2. Drag both walls in 3d closer to the intersection
    3. fix broken wall connections and then re-build walls
    4. different wall covering patterns and widths and heights

None of these have worked and if possible I would rather not have to make a work-around of specifying a 1/16" "molding" at the proper height and width to address this if not absolutely necessary. Am I doing anything blatantly wrong? Thank you!

-Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error2.1.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	17120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error2.2.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	17121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error2.3.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	17122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error2.4.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	17123  
    Attached Files Attached Files