Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raised shrub beds..has anyone done any?

I am trying to make a realistic rendering with raised beds.. the flower bed tool makes square edges if you raise it.. i have tried using elevation lines at intervals but the rest of the plan is effected as well.. i am looking for a bed to sit on top of a flat elevation....what would be the best way of doing this?
    David Skogg
    Architectural Technologist.
    X6

david@skoggdesign.ca
    www.skoggdesign.ca

Running on:
    Gateway NV57H13h laptop
    Intel Core i7-2670qm
    8gb ddr3 memory
    Nvidia Geforce gt 540m 1gb video card

"You don't know what you don't know"

FWD is offline Registered User Promoted
    I'm not sure if it's the best way but I've used the sidewalk polyline to create various raised beds ,garden walls,odd shaped paths etc.

the only problem with that is you get square edges which do not look like a bed in the end.
    David Skogg
    X6

david@skoggdesign.ca
    www.skoggdesign.ca

Running on:
    Gateway NV57H13h laptop
    Intel Core i7-2670qm
    8gb ddr3 memory

David:

Not sure, but try some of the terrain feature tools like "kidney shape" etc.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Actually you can create smooth curves on sidewalk polyline with the change line/arc or fillet command.

David,

Since your raised flower beds are on level terrain maybe you could just add a molding polyline around the raised bed and apply a molding to it to get rid of the square edge. Hope this helps.

Regards
    Bob Sweet

I'm really new at this....I've had CA X1 for only a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but what I did was go to Terrain>Garden Beds>Kidney Shaped Garden Bed. I changed the shape then I went to Terrain>Modifier>Raised Region and placed it over the modified kidney shape. Then I opened up object (over the Raised Region) and changed the height. This was 24".

I had to send you a copy of the pic from my screen because for some reason Chief is freezing up on me when I go into landscaping. I have a feeling I'm going to have to reinstall X1 again. (Guess I'll ask the folks here if that's happened to them)

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raised bed.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	16688  
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

FREE TEXTURES available and rendering information at: www.3D-Diva.com

Fort Worth Texas

Lew
    "Not sure, but try some of the terrain feature tools like "kidney shape" etc."

There you go. You know I think I misunderstood.I thought you meant a formal raised bed with a wall. It sounds like you want a mounded bed starting at grade level at the perimeter. You might try a terrain feature base(as Lew noted) @ 0 elevation and drop the hill terrain modifier shape over it to give you the mound.

And actually I see Pat suggests the same thing.
    Last edited by FWD; 08-20-2007 at 11:02 PM.

Pat that looks great, I have done similar things with lowered regions to make ponds.

Chris Brown

Thanks for the input...this makes sense for beds out in the middle of the yard.. i was wanting to use these mounded beds against the house and against sidewalks to add some soft textures around the house by adding planting and the plants do not look good in a flat bed...here is the house i was working on and i wanted to have a raised bed at the front with some plantings....

Name:	bed example.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	16702  
    David Skogg
    X6

david@skoggdesign.ca
    www.skoggdesign.ca

Running on:
    Gateway NV57H13h laptop
    Intel Core i7-2670qm
    8gb ddr3 memory

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Thanks for the input...this makes sense for beds out in the middle of the yard.. i was wanting to use these mounded beds against the house and against sidewalks to add some soft textures around the house by adding planting and the plants do not look good in a flat bed...here is the house i was working on and i wanted to have a raised bed at the front with some plantings....
    David, I did a raised bed next to a house and it looked fine. I'd like to send it to you but now my x1 is freezing up on me. I'll try again.
    David, could you let me know if you have any problems after you do your landscaping? Looks like you and I have about the same Dell XPS but just with that small pic, it sounded like my laptop was running overtime.

Pat
    Last edited by Pat1217; 08-21-2007 at 04:51 PM.
    x4
    SNEAK PEAK-service will be available soon. http://www.3d-diva.com/page1_360panorama.html

Fort Worth Texas

David, I had to reinstall X1 but got it to work again. Here is the pic I did with a raised bed. This is suppose to be a back yard but you get the idea. This is something I threw together tonite to test X1...not a project.

I made this at night so you can see shadows.

Pat

Name:	practicehouse_1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	16708  
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

Pat:

Very nice for a "test"

I can only imagine what you do when you put some time in

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    Pat:

Very nice for a "test"

I can only imagine what you do when you put some time in

Lew
    Thanks Lew, I'm really working hard to try to learn this program....my scrolling finger is sore !!

Pat
    x4

Fort Worth Texas

David
    "i was wanting to use these mounded beds against the house"

In such a bed against the house that lacks depth after the plants are in earth mounding really won't be too visible. Generally what is done is the use of lower plants in the front and taller shrubs in back that in effect creates a stepping up of mounded plant forms. Horizontal curvilinear bed edging (what I originally thought you were asking about) can help soften the bed lines.

The only time I've seen mounded or contoured beds used are in fairly large beds that allow for gradual slope. I've never seen a fairly abrupt raised bed used without some kind of help holding it back in place. I have only a modest amount of experience in the field so maybe an expert can chime in.