Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted

Posting of Bugs--Two Way Street:

Hi Dan,
    Perhaps if you made public the list of known bugs as you find them we wouldn't be working in the dark. Asking the group only to write tech support with possible issues takes away from the forum's power to serve itself and serve you as a company:

When people post their quandaries I know to look for those issues, Without this aid, I'm out here on an island being your free beta tester and loosing productivity on top of that.

We throw these questions out on the group to hear if anyone else has had problems or peculiarities. If the string goes on for a while, it's an amazing opportunity for your company to see how poorly or perfectly the software is designed. Asking users to self-censure possible known issues from the forum takes away your ability to see how users engage with your software and our ability to consider what issues are occurring.

When I write tech, I often get a work-around then the case is closed as though the issue was address. Take the text box issue in X1. Yes, I can click on the text tool to highlight text, but in V10 we used to be able to click on text boxes with the arrow selector (without clicking on it 3 times). I pointed out that the text box might need more sensitivity and tech wrote back to just click on the text tool first.

I'd rather hear the obvious truth: yes it is a step backwards from V10, a note as been sent to the programmers and we hope to fix it. If I had seen this issue on the group first I'd know that I needed to prepare myself to deal with this snafu and not waste time screwing around with it until it's fixed.

Perhaps fixing the issues instead of hiding them would be a better opportunity for us all.

Thanks very much,
    Barry

Barry;

Enlighten me, I'm not sure what text box highlight issue you're describing. I use my "select objects" (arrow) tool all the time to highlight my text, without having to select the Text tool first. Of course though, whenever I do want to use the text tool, I just tap the "Y" key and it's available. Just curious, this is a new problem with X1 that I did'nt know about, and I've used it since release.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted
    X1. Here in Seattle we have to click on the very edge of the text box to get the text to open and not the room to highlight. When I sent my plan to tech, they admitted it was difficult and that it's suggested I first click on the text tool. Perhaps they sent Phoenix the new and improved version of X1

But let's not get to caught up in the details, I was responding to Dan's call about not listing found issues on the forum directly. Whether there's an actual issue or not will pan out through communication by users and tech support input. I want to know what issues to be aware of and until Chief lists their findings on a daily basis, the only way is to have an open forum.
    Thanks for considering,
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie
    X1. Here in Seattle we have to click on the very edge of the text box to get the text to open and not the room to highlight. When I sent my plan to tech, they admitted it was difficult and that it's suggested I first click on the text tool.
    You'll find it to be the same when trying to select electrical items. Depending on how detailed the plan is, it's hard to select electrical items. If you select the electrical childtool first, you'll find it's alot easier to select electrical.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Barry;
    It must be my steady hand, because you do have to get right on the edge of the text. Actually you have a great point though, and I think a good solution would be for the text selection (with the "Select Objects" tool) to indicate, like with cad objects, and with a little circle or hourglass or something when you are actually selecting the text. I just always have a habit of zooming way in real fast with my mouse scroll wheel and selecting the text (you have to touch the very edge of one of the outboard letters).

I think though what Dan has reffered to, is not to ban discussion, but rather a bunch of ranting and raving from people who just opened Chief and can't do something they thought they should do. To discuss an issue, and go into a tyrade are two different things.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Posting a list of known issues would result in us not being able to determine the relative importance of certain fixes.

If you feel strongly something needs fixing let us know and that will have a bearing on the priority. Sometimes issues are specifically not fixed because the cost to fix it is very high and there are few users reporting the issue.

We would rather fix 10 important bugs than 1 obscure bug that only affects one user.

Also many times certain missing functionality, that we would classify as a feature request, is considered a bug by some users. We have over 3000 logged feature requests in our database. This list will take many years to implement thus, we need to find out what is most important by noting how often it is reported.

If we were to publish this list it would affect the number of reports we get in a negative manner thus causing a perhaps high priority feature to loose ground in importance and end up being deferred becasue other features are being requested more often.

Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect