Thread: SUNROOMS

JHA is offline Registered User Promoted

SUNROOMS

Hello,

In Chief97 user's manual, there is little information on using the sunrooms symbols.

Does anybody know the meaning of the field called "Height at front", which seems to be disabled in the dialog box used for editing a sunroom symbol? Also, do you know how it is possible to get the slope of the sunroom following the slope of the roof?

Thank you,

Jean-Jacques

Your only recourse is to tile screens and manually resize (in "plan set-up" check "furniture-fixture resize enable") in full elevation camera views, nobody promised you a "Rose Garden", but it works, just not perfectly.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas
    http://members.spree.com/djpotter

I don't think it's possible to change the slope of the sunroom symbol (correct me if I'm wrong) to match a different slope, which you need to be able to do, the manual shows a picture of a sunroom inserted in the tile roof of a house, but the symbol comes at about 18.5 d pitch and tile roofs here under regulations are either 22.5d or 20d pitch min unless you use solid sarking (cement sheet under tiles) therefore you can only use sunrooms to the side of buildings abutting a wall below roof, or use a different roofing (corrigated iron sheet) at sunroom unual pitch. This needs posting in suggestions sometime.

------------------

David got it here... the slope of the symbol can only be changed by changing the hight and width. This means that the front pannel is not going to end up the right hight once you get the slope right. You will have to fill taht in with some other symbol or soffit.

Bill was doing some neat stuff building greenhouses with trusses, and betewen trusses and framing, you can now do some pretty good sunrooms, much more versatle than the symbols.

Caleb

JHA is offline Registered User Promoted
    Thank you for the answers.

Is there a place on the internet where I could find some examples of the greenhouses you mention?

uuu... yes. Well no... maybe so?

The ones I mentioned Bill sent me direct. They were only partially done but were alrady looking very good. I would like to see how they turned out to... Hey Bill, can you post those back to the udraw site or something for us?

Chieftain, I can't get my sunrooms to change their slope, when I change height or depth it changes in proportion with the slope staying constent. Also after change a symbol it only changes in floor plan with depth, not in cross section camera view (hieght changes) the edit box that highlite when a symbol is clicked on alters in depth but the picture doesn't (tried building walls and new camera etc) fixture resizing is enabled in plan setup.

------------------

Don't know how to answer this. I know I got something to work, but it is clear that ART has setup the libraries stretch properties very differently than other itmes. Even the '97 libraries didn't seem to work right.

They realy shouls supply libraries that are not dimensionally locked. The log library bugs me expecially.

If I had to do a detailed Sunroom and the provided sunroom symbols were inadequate, I would use a combination of extant symbols(if possible),room dialogue box,invisible walls, shaped walls and soffits. It could be done.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Austin, Texas

Jean-Jacques,
    I spent a little time a while ago trying to construct a greenhouse that would display in 3D and look ok. The sunrooms are out of the question. The ones that are in V6.0 have a resize problem and don't show resized in 3d. Also you can not alter the roof pitch. I tried many different ways not spending much time with any and came up with two methods that may produce a working model.

The first was to make a special truss that included the wall. This is somewhat limiting but works for simple shapes.
    The second methode came from a suggestion from Caleb. Wall and roof framing. You can setup the wall framing members and spacing to come up with reasonable representation. After building the framing you can edit and add to it by picking the wall once in plan and picking the "open wall detail" button. I will upload a screen shot of something I started. This picture is just an experiment to see if it could be done. The object of this experiment was to see if I could get framing members under the walls. The job is set aside for a while so I haven't spent anymore time on it.
    E-mail me directly if you have more question.
    wakes@pugetsound.net
    Bill Wakefield
    Vault address below. File name: greenh.jpg http://www.egroups.com/docvault/chief-users/

[This message has been edited by Wakes2 (edited 28 November 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Wakes2 (edited 28 November 1999).]