Need some input / raytrace

I'm working on setting up a raytrace for a house, and i'm having some trouble with it. I dont do alot of raytracing so i dont know many tricks. I searched some of the treads but couldnt find any answers that will work for me. What i've got is a daytime view and i have my sun angle set to where i want it, its fairly high in the sky (1:00 pm) and i have a fairly deep covered porch. The problem i am trying to solve is that the space in the porch is completely black becuase its in shadow and no light is reaching the walls inside. I'm trying to illuminate that area of the model without making it look unnatural.

I've tried playing around a bit with the ambient and indirect light settings, but it doesnt seem to change much when i do a raytrace. I could put a light in the ceiling of the porch, but of course, not knowing much about lighting, it looks weird to me. lights in the daytime? The light on the garage wall is turned off, its just there for looks.

Can someone give me some advice? I understand that the porch is naturally in shadow, but, you should still be able to see inside during the day. I'm just not as experienced with raytracing, i spend most of my time drafting.

Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spec.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	16584  

If you have your first floor plan open go to 3d and select "add lights". Then left click a point somewhere in or near the center of your porch area. Do not draw when you click, this will add a downward facing "point light". If you drag it will create a parallel light spot light.
    Left click on this light, and you may have to tab to get it selected, and make sure it is on and un-check "cast shadows". This will make the area brighter and if it's too bright you can adjust this light's intensity by again selecting the light and un-checking "auto intensity" and slide the bar over to the left more.

Keep trying small rendering or ray traces until you get the lighting right then do a larger one....

Good luck....
    And show us your results when done.....
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

changing the sun angle might help ?

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

First - I like your setup - some tree shadows, realistic variation in plantings... nice job.

Try cranking ambient light all the way up and the direct down to barely 10% or 25%. I know, you said you fussed with these, but try settings that are drastic.

Try putting the light Jim mentions inside foyer, so that it shines through the glass in the door & sidelight. That will highlight the important part while keeping that nice realistic deep shadow.

Try defining a new material for the porch ceiling and giving it an ever-so-slight amount of Emissivity (Material def dbx, Render tab, 2nd from the bottom). That will make the ceiling give off a slight amount of light.

I would not uncheck "cast shadows" for any added lights. (Sorry Jim) I think it makes things unrealistic.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I based my comment "un-check" cast shadows on the book about lighting that I just read....
    It said to lighten up an area without using an actual light that this method works.
    If this is a day time shot and there are shadows from a porch light being on then it could look unusual...IMHO...
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5